Tier 4 is comming... now is the time to get off the fence!

/ Tier 4 is comming... now is the time to get off the fence! #31  
I have a 2011 F250 Powerstroke Diesel that is Tier 4 compliant. It has a diesel particulate filter, a complete separate cooling system for the EGR valve - it's own coolant tank and radiator along with it's own water pump, and uses DEF when needed. A lot of cost, hassle, and maintenance to prevent soot and clean the air. I lose at least 3 MPG when the system goes into regeneration to clean the DPF. This is the exact strategy the John Deere has posted on their Tier 4 compliance information page. I often wonder, but have no way to really measure it, whether the reduced MPG which causes me to burn more fuel to get somewhere but cleaner exhaust is better for the environment or to have a dirtier exhaust but burn less fuel.......

/ Tier 4 is comming... now is the time to get off the fence! #32  
I can see the tier thing is good for the environment, but, I think they are trying to shove all these tiers at the engine companies way too fast. If they had time to work on it and perfect it before having to meet the next standard, I don't think there would be much of a problem. But, they have been scrambling trying to find a quick fix to be able to stay in business while they figure out what they really need to do for the long term.

/ Tier 4 is comming... now is the time to get off the fence! #33  
Another issue with Tier IV and the regeneration issue is that we don't know how this will effect the longevity of the engine...
My 03 Power Stroke is the older 7.3 and I plan on keeping it until I die...
Doubt very seriously if I will ever buy another diesel pickup truck...

/ Tier 4 is comming... now is the time to get off the fence! #34  
Another issue with Tier IV and the regeneration issue is that we don't know how this will effect the longevity of the engine...

/ Tier 4 is comming... now is the time to get off the fence! #35  

Very Smart to keep the 03 7.3 PSD I traded my 00 7.3 for a 03 6.0 PSD lasted 5 yrs 75K miles and three turbos Big mistake!!! Traded it on a 07 Classic GMC 3500 Duramax. The last of the pre DPF models. I too will keep this one along time and will not buy another diesel if things keep going the way they are!!

/ Tier 4 is comming... now is the time to get off the fence! #36  
It never ceases to amaze me how denial and suspicion surfaces so quickly and strongly, motivated only by a fact based honest post. Seems to be an immediate life long response to any change, real or imagined, for some people.

Sure, Messick is in business and is surely open about it, which is honorable. However, several well known TBN members have corroborated his conclusion/information by already putting their money into a new tractor before Tier 4 arrives.

/ Tier 4 is comming... now is the time to get off the fence! #37  
Agreed. I thought most everyone here was adult enough to read the OP and decide for himself its validity. If you disagree with the OPs position thats fine, but the imputing of evil motives and conspiracy is ridiculous and irrelevant.

/ Tier 4 is comming... now is the time to get off the fence! #38  
Exactly, Messicks, is not the first or only source that has mentioned the coming price increase about Tier 4 Final. I suspect there will be a significant price increase. How much remains to be seen. But you don't put parts on a machine for free, and any new technology cost's money. Especially at first.

James K0UA

/ Tier 4 is comming... now is the time to get off the fence! #39  
You're in the interim Tier 4 period right now, and you can still buy Tier 1-3 parts from name brand manufacturers can you not?

You are missing my point. As the government gets its way, pretty soon you won't be able to buy T 12 fluorescents much longer. If they can do this, what's to stop them in saying parts manufacturing for older engines will not be allowed as these engines continue to harm the environment. We have an EPA that has found a friendly administration and as a result, seems to be little in the way to stop their fervor.

/ Tier 4 is comming... now is the time to get off the fence! #40  
They're not going to stop manufacturers from making parts for older engines, they're just not going to make any more of the older style engines. It's like old antique cars, they aren't taking them all away from us, they just aren't making the dirty emission engines any longer. You don't need to pass emissions with your antique car, but of course they're not replacing the antique cars that go away.

I don't know why everyone is freaking out about these Tier 4 engines. It's not the end of the tractor world guys, it's a change we have to deal with yea, but it's not the end like some of you make it out to be.