Traction tight maneuvering with my JD850

/ tight maneuvering with my JD850 #1  

lilburr

Bronze Member
Tractor
fordson, john deere
My 850 2WD seems awfully light in the front; many times when I need to make a tight maneuver, it just 'washes out' in the front; the wheels are cut (usually to the right, it seems) but the tractor pushes it forward or straight against the turned front tires. Tried it creeping along and doesnt make a difference so this means stopping the tractor, backing the tractor to a more direct route instead of the tight turn I am attempting and starting over in forward. and sometimes I still miss the turn and have to do this backing again. I have added four 40# weights and no apparent change (although they may be helping a little). I have added ballast to the rears per manual.

This tractor is used in a hilly wooded environment that requires tight and accurate attention.

More weights ? Something in the steering or linkages ?

/ tight maneuvering with my JD850 #2  
My 850 2WD seems awfully light in the front; many times when I need to make a tight maneuver, it just 'washes out' in the front; the wheels are cut (usually to the right, it seems) but the tractor pushes it forward or straight against the turned front tires. Tried it creeping along and doesnt make a difference so this means stopping the tractor, backing the tractor to a more direct route instead of the tight turn I am attempting and starting over in forward. and sometimes I still miss the turn and have to do this backing again. I have added four 40# weights and no apparent change (although they may be helping a little). I have added ballast to the rears per manual.

This tractor is used in a hilly wooded environment that requires tight and accurate attention.

More weights. You might actually load the front tires too. You probably notice it more when you are going uphill. The front end gets light, and a sharp turn just "plows".

/ tight maneuvering with my JD850 #3  
I'm not familiar with the 850 - doesn't it have separate left and right brakes on the rear wheels like most tractors to help it turn?

Terry

/ tight maneuvering with my JD850 #4  
What if anything do you have on the rear of the machine

/ tight maneuvering with my JD850 #5  
I have a 4300 with steering brakes and have never separated them.

I've had the exact same issue on occasion and I never even thought to use the "steering brakes" to steer. :-/

Someone should revoke my JD license.

/ tight maneuvering with my JD850 #6  
diff lock on ?

/ tight maneuvering with my JD850 #7  

Four of the small JD suitcase weights is only 168 lbs (they are 42 lbs each). Try using the 70 lbs weights instead. More if needed.

/ tight maneuvering with my JD850
I have a 4300 with steering brakes and have never separated them.

I've had the exact same issue on occasion and I never even thought to use the "steering brakes" to steer. :-/

My story too. This is a good solution and I'll give it a try. Seems like I am all the time using my heel (on the right side) on the Differential lock pedal, at least in working situations. Thanks.

Meanwhile, I have attained 2 more 40 lb'ers.

5 ft boxblade's on the back, sometime 6'.

/ tight maneuvering with my JD850 #9  
Sometimes I have had to go into reverse to get the diff to unlock...keep that in mind when using differential breaking.

/ tight maneuvering with my JD850 #10  
I would first split the brakes. The steering wheel is simply an accessory when making hard turns, the brakes do all the work. Sometimes a quick jab of the brakes will free a diff lock that is stuck on. Otherwise backing up is necessary.