Tiller Tiller for Gardening (Walk behind vs. PTO)

/ Tiller for Gardening (Walk behind vs. PTO) #31  
But don't forget rentals -
Sunbelt rents a 65" PTO tiller for about $90/day.

The nearest Sunbelt is 60 miles one way from me. That is what I get for living in the country. Darn!

/ Tiller for Gardening (Walk behind vs. PTO) #32  
The nearest Sunbelt is 60 miles one way from me. That is what I get for living in the country. Darn!
That's when you buy your own so you have it.............like I do.

/ Tiller for Gardening (Walk behind vs. PTO) #33  
Also watch your local auctions - around here tillers come up fairly often and don't bring the huge price that they bring new. Seen several go for under 1K (mostly $750-850 area) that were in very good cond.
Now if you want a craftsman wrench/tool set skip our auctions because it will bring 40% MORE than the local store is asking......

/ Tiller for Gardening (Walk behind vs. PTO)
I couldn't help myself .... I decided to buy a PTO tiller. I bought a 6' Taylor Way tiller from the local Kubota dealer . They serviced it and filled the gear boxes with oil for me. The 72" tiller covers my tracks nicely. Taylor Way paints the tillers orange for the Kubota dealership. I think the orange tiller looks good behind my blue NH tractor :) This is the first year planting a garden at our new house. I don't think I could have prepared the soil without the use of a PTO tiller. I actually found myself using the Horse to lay off rows (potatoes) and making beds (onions) for planting.

I bought the dics to make a hiller attachment for my tractor, but I haven't gotten around to it yet. The Horse with the furrowing attachment works pretty good in soil that has been well tilled by the PTO tiller.

The fact that I needed to sow grass in a large area of my yard was he deciding factor in buying the Taylor Way. I tilled up a big chunk of our yard and some areas on both sides of the driveway. The PTO tiller, yard rake and a cultipacker (borrowed from my neighbor) make preparing the soil very easy. I bet I have wasted $750 in seed and fertilizer trying to get grass to grow. I scattered compost and some manure in the areas I wanted to plant. I tilled it in the soil real good and the spread seed and fertilizer by hand. I am really enjoying the PTO tiller. I am glad I bought it.

Thanks for all the advice!!

/ Tiller for Gardening (Walk behind vs. PTO) #35  
Enjoy!!! They do a great job and make tilling a easy afternoon job.