Tiller Gear oil

/ Tiller Gear oil #1  

Agrantina

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L3240 GST
I have a new tiller Tonutti (Itlain made) brand and the owners manual says to use SAE 90 in gear box and SAE 150 in chain drive.. My local auto parts and TSC dont carry either. All i can find is 80-90 gear oil or 75-140...NO SAE 150..Never heard of SAE 150.. whats the difference in the oils? Should I order some??

AndyG

/ Tiller Gear oil #2  
If your book actually states to use a straight 90 in the gear box, it might be referring to 90 grade mineral oil--a GL 1 product that is normally not real easy to find in quarts. If it was mine, I would probably use 80-90, a GL-5 product that has extreme pressure additive protection. Do you know if the gear box might have any brass parts in it? Gl-1 is better suited for brass, than GL-5. Call the company and ask them to clarify.
That SAE 150 might be a misprint. There is an I.S.O. grade 150 viscosity, which translates to about a 40 grade oil, but I imagine you want an 85-140 gear oil for that one.
80-90, and 85-140 is easily had in quarts.

/ Tiller Gear oil
Thanks-- I have been looking at other tiller brands and their manuals and say excatly what you just stated...

AndyG

/ Tiller Gear oil #4  
I'll add that you can generally find gl-5 oils that carry a MT1 rating that are yellow metal friendly.

also.. napa gl-1 oil is part number 65-205

soundguy