Tiller Tiller leaking oil? Need help!

/ Tiller leaking oil? Need help! #1  

Knight

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L3400
If anyone has either a King Kutter or Dark Horse tiller ( Basically the same unit other than color and assembly) and is leaking oil, then I can help you with the fix. Seals are $5.00 each.
Breaking tines?
If anyone needs help through the process, I would more than happy to help!
I have done two now and I consider my self educated on these machines enough to help others. Both these tillers are working great.
Post up and I'll walk you through!

If you happen to run across a Dark Horse tiller leaking oil as is a being given away, grab it. ( grab it for me , if you don't want it)This has the basic material for a good tiller, but you will need to disassemble and reassemble it. Some TSC have them on clearance price, grab it, if you don't mind reassembling it.

Attachments

• DCP_2472.JPG
    DCP_2472.JPG
    465.9 KB · Views: 702
  • DCP_2473.JPG
    DCP_2473.JPG
    722.8 KB · Views: 651
   / Tiller leaking oil? Need help! #2  
Knight, I have a Bush Hog RTL 60 that iseaaeking oil on the gear box side , inside where the spindle goes into the side gear box. What all is involved?

/ Tiller leaking oil? Need help! #3  
isaeeaking? leaking!

/ Tiller leaking oil? Need help!
The ironic part about your tiller, is that it uses only one seal, much like the Dark horse tiller. King kutter come with and now my Dark horse have two seals in series. This ends the leaking problem.
I bet you will have room for two seals as well. This should solve your leak problem. How much use has your tiller had before it started leaking?

About 2-3 hours to take apart and 2 hours to reassemble.
The tiller with be out of commission for at least a week waiting for seals.(I have a good source for the seals...ups to you)
You need to take cover off and drain oil.
I wrap a strap around tiller shaft and up around whole unit to hold it up.
(this maintains position of shaft once the side hub is removed)
I also loose bolts on top gear box than slide a 2x4 block of wood, plus wood shim under top drive shaft to keep top shaft raised and maintain it's position.
Now remove top gear in side gearbox. and bottom gear.
Now loosen side gear box cover and remove. This might need a little heat and tapping with a wood block.
Now you will have the hub with bearing and seal in it.
When you get to this part I use heat and tap out bearing.
Now you can get at the new seals, etc.
I freeze the bearing for 24 hours to help with the reinstall.

/ Tiller leaking oil? Need help! #5  
My local TSC has a 5 or 6 foot KKII tiller sitting out back with a puddle of oil under it, wonder what it could be had for?

My local TSC has a 5 or 6 foot KKII tiller sitting out back with a puddle of oil under it, wonder what it could be had for?

$200 should be good. 60" fixed up will go for $800 in season on craiglist

/ Tiller leaking oil? Need help! #7  
I'd buy it if they would sell it that cheap, I'll stop and check.

Tell them it's a big job to pullout that tiller shaft.

/ Tiller leaking oil? Need help! #9  
Just got back from TSC, they want $1150. I passed, the paint isn't worn off the tines yet but someone beat the snot out of this tiller. Bent tines, bent skid, multiple dings from tilling rocks. No wonder it leaks oil.

/ Tiller leaking oil? Need help! #10  
Thanks knight. my tiller is kinda old came with the tractor as part of the package, was leaking then. Messicks shows the diagram of the tiller ( Bush Hog RTL 60 ) and lists the seal for $16.88 a 75 X 55 X 10 ? any help with the seals would be appreciated. Does the diagram look the same as you were discribing? Thanks for your help.