tiller newbie notes

/ tiller newbie notes #41  
/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gifYep, in some cases the crops are different; in some cases just personal preferences are different./w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif I really do like turnips and they do best in cool weather. I'll bet you don't even plant any okra./w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif And a couple of varieties of beets? I only plant Detroit Reds. And I like all kinds of greens (the neighbor whose garden I tilled today always has plenty of collards if we want them), but I figure as long as I have plenty of turnip greens, I don't need any others. Do you eat the beet greens, too? They're pretty good. Roma tomatoes do real well here, and they're especially good for canning or sauces, but this past year, I only planted Early Girl and Big Boy tomatoes. The Blue Lake green beans are the best snap bean I've found, California Wonder bell peppers, and then we're especially fond of broccoli, cauliflower, and cabbage. We used to raise sweet potatoes when I was a kid in Oklahoma, but I haven't tried any here; just red and white Irish potatoes (decided I like the red a little better). And unlike most Texas gardeners, I don't plant any peppers except the bell peppers; just don't care enough for them. And personally, I wouldn't give a nickel a carload for cucumbers, but since the rest of my family, as well as lots of friends and neighbors, like them, I always produce lots of them. I've had very poor luck with carrots; a decent crop only one year out the three years I've planted some. Of course, we have to have black-eyed peas and sweet corn, yellow squash, and zucchini. And a few watermelon, cantaloupe, and pumpkins.

/ tiller newbie notes #42  
Bird,

We tried Okra once... it did do to good and it took up a lot of space. And like turnips, we're not to fond of it.

Yes, cucumbers are like zucchini. Once they come into season - watch out, you can't give them away. That is why we grow the picklers. They mature fast and we cannot grow enough. They are good in salads just like their larger cousins. My wife supplies a local garden stand and they cannot get enough from us. In fact, we are going to put in two 50 ft rows of them this year.

We have a terrible time with any vining plant. We have a moth that lays there eggs on the stems and the lavae just tunnel out the vines. So, we do our best to get what we can before the plant dies off. Pumpkins and melons take up too much real estate to be cost productive for us. Love to have them and eat them so we leave that up to some of the other vendors to provide. Everyone at the Market develops their speciality and everyone trades off or purchases from each other. Really wonderful market. Out of 15 vendors, only one is somewhat cutthroat and is not well liked. All of the others are great. Trade product and advice just like the TBN community.

Terry

/ tiller newbie notes #43  
I'd like to use a 42" PTO tiller on my Kubota B5100D 4WD. Unfortunately it is a 3 speed (hi/lo) and not HST. From what I've read - I may not be happy with the results.... is it critical that I get a forward rotation? Also- what does anyone know about these used Yanmar tilllers from Japan for $500?

Your help is appreciated.

/ tiller newbie notes #44  
Bruce,
I have one of the Yanmar tillers RS1200 series. Works great for me.

/ tiller newbie notes #45  
Bruce: I'm not sure whether your concern is about if your tractor can handle the tiller or concern about the rotation direction of your PTO/tiller combination.

But let me say that I have a B6100 4wd gear (not HST) and I till with my 42" (34" tilling width) Kubota tiller all the time. It works quite well. My only drawback is that the tilling width is not as wide as my rear tires and I can't offset the tiller.

The B6100 has a "normal" rotation of the PTO. I don't know about the 5100.

/ tiller newbie notes #46  
Yep in fact the tiller will push you faster than the tractor at times on my Ariens GT17. Watch out though, it gets real rough, a real buckin' bronco at times

/ tiller newbie notes #47  
Also thought I would add a cautionary note. My Suicidal/Homicidal tiller tried to push me off a 10-15 ft drop because my front wheels weren't gripping in my freshly tilled dirt while i was trying to turn.