Tiller Tiller Offset

/ Tiller Offset #11  
My simple test to see if a pto shaft needs cutting AT ALL - mount the implement, hook up the pto shaft, then, while watching the two telescoping shield sections, (PTO NOT TURNING) raise and lower the implement looking for the most engagement between halves (shortest overall length) - stop the lift at that position, turn off the tractor, and try to remove one end of the shaft.

If you can do this without "bottoming" the two halves, you're DONE. If not, you will probably need to watch the video or RTFM, etc.

I personally would not recommend this. All it takes on some of these smaller machines is one slip and it'll snap the case on the PTO/transaxle.

A lot of these newer machines have aluminum housings.

/ Tiller Offset #12  
Don, you lost me - what part of my suggestion would put ANY stress on ANY part of the tractor or implement? Steve

Oh, maybe this is it - are you thinking that if the shaft is attached when the implement is NOT at its closest point, that MOVING the lift could maybe put the pto shaft in COMPRESSION and maybe stress the transaxle housing enough to damage it?

If so, good catch - maybe a better way to avoid this would be to NOT attach the shaft at first, but MEASURE between tractor and implement shafts and find the position that gives the SHORTEST distance, THEN try to attach the pto shaft.

Whaddaya think? Steve

/ Tiller Offset #13  
Don, you lost me - what part of my suggestion would put ANY stress on ANY part of the tractor or implement? Steve

Oh, maybe this is it - are you thinking that if the shaft is attached when the implement is NOT at its closest point, that MOVING the lift could maybe put the pto shaft in COMPRESSION and maybe stress the transaxle housing enough to damage it?

If so, good catch - maybe a better way to avoid this would be to NOT attach the shaft at first, but MEASURE between tractor and implement shafts and find the position that gives the SHORTEST distance, THEN try to attach the pto shaft.

Whaddaya think? Steve
Yes sir, that's what I was referring to. As per the video I posted. It's a much safer angle of attack, especially with people that are new to tractors and implements.