Tiller Tiller Question. 4' or 5' Tiller ?

/ Tiller Question. 4' or 5' Tiller ? #1  

Buckchaser

Tractor
Massey F 1734
I'm in the market for a new tiller ( or good used one ). I'm only tilling about 2-3 acres.. My rear tractor tire width is 5'. Does it make any difference to go 4' or 5' tiller for my tractor.. 4' tiller is less costly and lighter weight, but 5' would cover width of tires. PTO HP is 27 if that makes any difference. Any advice would be helpful ? Thanks..

/ Tiller Question. 4' or 5' Tiller ? #2  
Covering the tracks is nice but not totally necessary IMHO .You should be able to handle a five footer with no problem,tillers are not a big power draw.I would advise to plow new plots,at least break the sod with a single bottom(middle buster).Middle buster can be purchased for about $150,great tool for the money.
We use a five foot roto-tiller on two tractors,bigger one is six ft.wide.
Most have slip clutches;learn how to service and do it every spring.

/ Tiller Question. 4' or 5' Tiller ? #3  
This is a good question which identifies you as very new to tractor operation.

Forward rotation roto-tillers require little horsepower to operate; the rotating tines push the tractor forward.

PTO 27-horsepower will operate a 5' roto-tiller easily.

Buy the five foot wide tiller. Or buy a six foot wide tiller. Wider tillers are more fuel efficient per unit of work.

The objective in tilling is to loosen soil. With a 48" tiller your rear tires will leave two tractor compacted prints behind the tiller. The tractor is carrying not only its own weight but a portion of the roto-tiller weight, which is transferred to the tractor through the Three Point Hitch Lower Links.

Do not till unless soil condition is moist. Not dry, not wet; moist.

Some GEAR transmission tractors will not operate at a slow enough speed over the ground for a roto-tiller.

Reverse rotation tillers, perhaps 10% of the roto-tiller market, require much more power than forward rotation roto-tillers.

Modify your T-B-N PROFILE to identify your tractor in every post.

Last edited:
   / Tiller Question. 4' or 5' Tiller ? #4  
Cover the tire tracks for the reason Jeff stated. I am operating a 5 foot tiller with my 25 (engine) HP tractor. That is pushing the limits through my clay soil. Land was planted in corn 2 years ago.

I mowed short, sprayed round up and waited 2 weeks. Stuff died. It was much easier to till.

You will likely have a slip clutch. Learn how to adjust it and make sure you do. If you hit a big rock or something this will be what saves your tractor from damages.

I found I had to go about a fast walking pace to get a good result. I did about 10 acres. Took me several days to do, but got it done.

I don't know your soil conditions. Mine are clay which is tough.

/ Tiller Question. 4' or 5' Tiller ?
Thanks for the help guys.. My soil has clay mixed with good soil and was planted last year so hopefully soft enough to just till it up.. I'll spot test it first in case I have to disc it. You're right, 5 foot tiller is the way I should go. It makes sense for the tiller to have the wheels covered and forward and not reverse rotation .. My ground does have some rocks so slip clutch makes sense also. Thanks again and if you have recommendations on tillers please let me know.. I was looking at King Kutter and Landpride..They seem to get good reviews. I found a used KK almost new cond..that might be worth going after, but open to other ideas..

/ Tiller Question. 4' or 5' Tiller ? #6  
   / Tiller Question. 4' or 5' Tiller ? #7  
My soil has clay mixed with good soil and was planted last year so hopefully soft enough to just till. I'll spot test it first in case I have to disc it.

I was looking at King Kutter and Landpride. I found a used KK almost new condition that might be worth going after.

If you have a Tandem Disc Harrow with pans at least 18" in diameter you do not need a PTO powered roto-tiller in the conditions you have specified. Disc Harrows and Roto-tillers are both soil mixing implements. They mix in distinct ways, but produce the same result if operated and adjusted properly.

If you learn how to adjust a Box Frame Tandem Disc Harrow it will leave ground nearly as smooth as a roto-tiller.
Angle Iron frame Disc Harrows usually cannot be adjusted.

MORE: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...ing-three-point-hitch-mounted.html?highlight=

King Kutter roto-tillers are fine for a few acres. I am indifferent as to gear driven or chain driven tines.
When there is snow on the ground used implement prices are low. Once Spring arrives used implement prices escalate.

Modify your T-B-N PROFILE to identify your tractor in every post.

Last edited:
   / Tiller Question. 4' or 5' Tiller ? #8  
Also, wider tiller can be narrowed by removing tines, narrow tiller can't be widened, though, so go wider and be safe.

/ Tiller Question. 4' or 5' Tiller ? #9  
This is a good questionForward rotation roto-tillers require little horsepower to operate; the rotating tines push the tractor forward.

PTO 27-horsepower will operate a 5' roto-tiller easily.

Buy the five foot wide tiller. Or buy a six foot wide tiller. Wider tillers are more fuel efficient per unit of work.
Really? I'd love to see ANY 25, 30 PTO hp compact tractor come over and run my 6' Howard!!

It's NOT going to happen with out that tractor over heating in no time! That is, IF you actually put it in the ground!

Maybe it would a tinker toy tiller in sand or a garden spot, but it sure as he!! won't run a 6' Howard in a field with decent soil, especially if it has sod. And, that's what folks hire me to till, fields of sod and old garden spots.

I tried it on one of my 30 hp tinker toy tractors and it was too much for it so I'm not guessing here...

Point being, all tillers are NOT created equal... The better ones have more flanges, more tines and are designed to cut deeper.

SR

/ Tiller Question. 4' or 5' Tiller ? #10  
I'll take that action.

Bring it up here.

Challenge accepted.