Tiller questions

/ Tiller questions #1  

teach

Silver Member
I have a chance to buy a Landpride tiller, 42", 7-8years old, in good shape for about $700. Question one, does that sound worth it?
Question two, will it work ok on my 16hp std B7100? The newer tillers from Landpride that are similiar models say they require 17Hp min. Thanks.
teach

/ Tiller questions #2  
I think that's a very good size and price for your tractor. I used a Bush Hog RTS40 with my B7100. The tiller cost $1,300 new in '95, not sure what the new price was on the Landpride.

/ Tiller questions #3  
Last year I purchased a Woods GTC-40 tiller for my B6100E. Cost was $985. Worked out well, although I did have to add 3 suitcase weights to the front of the tractor.

Attachments

• 619352-Woods3.jpg
    619352-Woods3.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 142
   / Tiller questions #4  
I'm buying the L4400 and was looking at tiller options. It was my understanding that you would have to have enough hp to run equipment, but now I' hearing conflicting advice going the other way to equipment that has lower hp requirements. With the 37.5 pto, would there be a problem operating the Woods model that recommends "up to 20hp"? I had one cautionary comment about the torque, but others think it will be okay. I don't want to buy new equipment and destroy it. Does anyone here have any advice/experience?

/ Tiller questions #5  
Hello,
It is my understanding that the better made tillers incorporate a clutch mechanism to prevent the damage you are concerned about. I think some of the lesser expensive model may use a shear pin, If I were buying a tiller I would get a model that has a clutch.
However if I could I would try to buy a tiller matched to my tractors pto hp just to lessen the chance of wearing out the clutch. The clutch is designed to disengage the tiller in order to prevent damage to the tiller, I would think if you caused the clutch to slip over and over it would eventually wear out.

Greg