Tiller repair help

/ Tiller repair help
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( You can drill the broken bolt out using a Malford Tool Co. Hi-Roc solid carbide drill bit. You can buy individual ones from Enco-- www.usenco.com. )</font>

<font color="red"> </font> Good advice as usual. The url is "www.use-enco.com" though

/ Tiller repair help #12  
I think any tiller that hasn't been maintained would end up in the same condition. For 3pt attachments.. I believe a tiller is the worst as far as vibration.. even w/ locknuts.. on my NH 72" tiller.. I have to tighten or replace bolts(lost) every season. Last Sat. I was making a second pass on a 1 acre plot for sweet corn.. l looked around in time to see a bolt & nut falling out.. I shut everything down.. put that one back in.. checked all the rest. This happed even after I had tightened & checked the bolts before I started. I can sometimes use the corner of a chisal to try to get sheared off bolts to unscrew.. putting the chisal edge on the outter rim of the sheared bolt.. and tapping w/ a hammer in a counter clockwise direction.. rusted?.. use some WD40 first. I love getting equipment for less.. I just picked up a shed-kept JD 2 row planter from my farm neighbor down the street.. $300 and he still had some sweetcorn seeds in the hoppers from last season.. he just said.. I'll take the first picking. I'm headed back.. to get a double bottom plow for $200.

/ Tiller repair help #13  
I apologize for the bad website listing, you are right.

When I offer assistance on this site, it comes from my personal experience or my partners' experience. There is a whole world of specialized tools and procedures that can make so many things easy.

It's like people ask me why I have a plasma cutter versus using a gas axe and I tell them I have the gas axe but the plasma torch is easier and quicker.

/ Tiller repair help
Well, I was able to repair the tiller myself. I drilled and tapped the holes out from 3/8 (original) to 1/2 X 20tpi. I removed and replaced some of the old hardware on the tiller at the same time, greased it all up and now I'm back in business. I am going to take the advice on getting the manual for Howard. The tiller is offsetable and has some adjustments on it. I don't think it is set up quite perfect yet, I think the manual will help with that. Overall the thing is not in too bad of shape now that I have cleaned it up a little. I think maybe this winter I'll disassemble my mower and tiller and sandblast them and re-paint. I think a nice BLUE color would suit just fine. LOL. Thanx for all the help.
Dave

/ Tiller repair help #15  
Hi-Roc drills also drill armor plate, so if you need some extra money you can start drilling safes................ /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif