Tiller seal replacement

/ Tiller seal replacement #21  
Bob, Just thinking real hard, I have come up with a tool you can make up in about 30 min. Take an impact socket the size of the nut and use a Dremel tool with a cutting disk, and carefully cut out corrosponding groves or notches in the impact socket, and you will have a socket very similar to PT's special socket. Use a half inch socket.

/ Tiller seal replacement #22  
BobRip did you happen to ask them how much that socket was to buy your own ? You might be able to get one from an auto parts store. Hope you get the tiller going wothout too much trouble.

/ Tiller seal replacement #23  
Toy, I looked on the Internet, and found a similar sockets for around $30.

/ Tiller seal replacement
toy said:
BobRip did you happen to ask them how much that socket was to buy your own ? You might be able to get one from an auto parts store. Hope you get the tiller going wothout too much trouble.

Toy,

PT said they have the socket made special and they charge about $60. I also thought about making the socket. When I receive the socket I will decide if I want to attempt it. My luck the next time I need it it would be misplaced. PT's socket loan program is a good deal if you buy the bearing and seals from them.

Dale

/ Tiller seal replacement #25  
toy said:

The deposit on their socket was about $60 (if my memory is good, which it is not). They did not recommend that you buy it. It's up to you of course. I normally prefer to own and not rent, but in this case with only one tool that uses it, I did not think it was worth it.
Bob Rip

/ Tiller seal replacement #26  
I'm guessing the reason they have them made special is to get the maximum blade width [i.e. socket ID & OD]. Still a heavy socket [I think J.J. noted impact] might be thick enough.

I'd think it'd be real easy to make from round stock (probably make a male "nut head" instead of a female square for economy), but even without the broaching [for a square hole] operation, by the time you pay a machinist to heat treat it, PT's $60 probably isn't bad. And if they're available somewhere for $30 better yet.