Tilling advice

/ Tilling advice #1  

fredhargis

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota B2920, Kioto CK3510HB
I have to say I love tilling with my 3PH tiller, but always seem to have problem on entry and exit from the garden...actually more so on exit. I have the uncanny ability to leave a 50" wide barrel shape cut right at the edge of the garden where I exit despite how careful I try to be at raising the tiller as I pull onto the lawn. Is there a trick to doing this to make it slightly less of a problem? If anyome knows of a youtube video demonstrating the technique I could use a link. As always, TIA for input.

/ Tilling advice #2  
If there is a way... I haven't figured it out :eek: I do stop at the "exit" and let the tiller dig a bit deeper... which piles up extra dirt which I kick into the trench.

/ Tilling advice #3  
I'm new to tilling with a tractor as well, and have noticed the same thing. A thought that comes to me now (too late to try) is slowing down the pto for the last couple feet of each pass. I'll have to wait until fall to try it.

/ Tilling advice #5  
Yeah, then you leave tracks.. I just leave it with kicked in dirt, then it is a drain on that end.I can feather it with the lift, if i pay close attention. Mostly I am watching not to run into chain-link fence at end??

/ Tilling advice #6  
Ours does the same thing. What I have found works well for us is to keep in down and till right to the edge, stop, and then lift the tiller. Once you pull away you can push/rake the pile of dirt that the tiller left in front of it back into the trench and it will end up close to level. Of corse you might not want a pile of dirt on the edge of your lawn that you put back in the trench.
P.S. Ours is a Landpride and is reverse rotation. Don't know if this makes a difference.

Ed

/ Tilling advice #7  
My new Kingkutter (standard rotation) does this as well. I have found that if I stop and raise the tiller very slowly as I move forward slowly, it ends up fairley nice and no barrel shape trough at the end of the pass. Give it a try.

/ Tilling advice #8  
If you till the garden east and west, when you are finished make one more pass along the east and west edge traveling north and south. This will cover all of the barrel shaped holes except for the last pass on the north and south.

Clear as mud?

/ Tilling advice
If you till the garden east and west, when you are finished make one more pass along the east and west edge traveling north and south. This will cover all of the barrel shaped holes except for the last pass on the north and south.

Clear as mud?

I've tried that, and that last pass has a very uneven surface. I thought that was because of the barrel shaped holes, but maybe I'm just not doing it right. I ,may try letting the dirt pile up and then just kick it in the cut, my tiller is a Land Pride forward rotating, so the dirt pile will be in the garden. At least I'm glad to hear it's not just because I'm a newbie to this tractor stuff.

Last edited:
   / Tilling advice #10  
I've tried that, and that last pass has a very uneven surface. I thought that was because of the barrel shaped holes, but maybe I'm just now doing it right. I ,may try letting the dirt pile up and then just kick it in the cut, my tiller is a Land Pride forward rotating, so the dirt pile will be in the garden. At least I'm glad to hear it's not just because I'm a newbie to this tractor stuff.

What I do is I first till all around the boarder then do the middle running east & west. As I am going east and west, at the end of my run, I stop in the middle of the boarder pass. So the barrel shaped hole is in the center and has soft dirt on all 4 sides of it. Then my last pass north and south to cover the holes the tiller's shoes have soft dirt to sink into as the center of the tiller passes over the hole.

This generally covers the hole completely AND keeps all the dirt in the garden not in the yard.