Timber Ax on CAT 257B High Flow

/ Timber Ax on CAT 257B High Flow #1  

Terra Firma Scott

Silver Member
Tractor
Cat 257 B High Flow
Ok, Lots of knowledge on this site (Glad I found it!)and I would love some feedback and opinions as to running a Loftness Timber Ax on my Cat 257b High Flow.:eek:

It Seems most conversations going are of the ASV RC 100 or Cat 287b XPS.Larger and more powerful tracked large frame machines. I have never seen a smaller tracked machined run a mulching head before. Anyone?:confused: All the rental stores have the larger heads that surely would topple my machine on its face if it could even turn the drum!..So with some research I Have found that loftness offers a lower GPM requirement and motor size to match my machine....Had I known a year ago when I purchased my 257 that I'd be pondering mulching I would have entertained getting the larger machine BUT-Whats done is done and I have what I have and just cant seem to make a solid decision as to whether I should purchase the timber ax and see if it will turn into more than just weekend work ...Maybe down the road get into a larger machine but that would also mean a new cutter head ...Should I just go for it? My thoughts were to make do with what I have and run the smaller head 63" or 73" max. Priced one a few days ago here in N.E Fla..My 257 weighs in at a lean 7500 lbs+/-.4 cyl turbo diesel 62+/- Hp and 46 Hydraulic HP.26 GPM 3335 psi...Cab enclosed 1/4 " lexan/plastic factory door ..

Chime in with any and all opinions,advice,encouragements and discouragements PLEASE!:D

Regards, Scott@Terra Firma Tractor

/ Timber Ax on CAT 257B High Flow #2  
Hey Scott. I'm not familiar with cat specs so I'll just go with some of my experiences and you can go from there.

As you have probably gathered I run a RC-100 with a timberax 73" head. At 2500lbs. it is all my 100 can do to control the head. So anything lighter or smaller i wouldn't even consider. As for a smaller head it would depend on the weight. I love my timberax but in this case I wouldn't consider it the best option. It is a very large head with a large layout compared to the carbide heads that are very compact. Do you follow? A narrow version of the magnum with the rexroth pump you can dial in, similar the pumps sizing with loftness to me would be a good match for your tractor. That is just for the weight and size.

Now onto the cooling issues. Mulching heads generate an increadable amount of heat, is your tractor going to be able to handle it. Just because your tractor has high flow does not mean it can handle continuious high flow. I'm just asking the questions to possible save you and your tractor. Is your tractor wheeled or tires. I havn't seen how a tired machine handles a mulching head.

I know a bigger tractor doesn't sound feasable but can you afford to loose yours due to overheating and or fire. I've seen it happen. My high flow hoses get so hot it will almost burn your hand. There are reasons we run these big tractors for mulching. Hind sight is always a pain.

Also you will need a thicker door. I'm currently working on that. I had a piece of wire go straight thru my poly door. Scary. A real forestry door is next.
See what you make of that. Robbie

/ Timber Ax on CAT 257B High Flow
Great points Robbie, Thanx for the cooling insight. My machine IS tracked and has a function on the joystick to lock CONTINUOUS flow..Question being is the factory setup /cooler sufficient enough...And since I havent run the mulch attachment I couldnt tell you..Of course the salesman is convinced it would be matched to the machine.Yes I saw a 287 burn up from running a Davco brush MOWER and operator wasnt cleaning out the engine area or belly pans...Weight of the smaller head is at 1900-2000 lbs I believe. Humnnnn...Decisions...

Regards, Scott

Robbie or anyone with asv,

Are the ASV Hydraulic oil coolers mounted to flow inline with the High Flow circuit? Like an additional external mounted deal or does it utilze the side tanks of the radiator assy?

I peeked at my machine tonight after work and the hydraulic fluid actually cools at the radiator/Fan motor area..Large 3/4-1 inch lines going in and out and back to to the pump best I can see with out tilting my cab ...

anxious-Scott...Cant stop thinking bout this cutter...:cool:

/ Timber Ax on CAT 257B High Flow #5  
ASV's have a split radiator, actually about 60/40. 60 going to the hyd cooling. Its a vertical mount the the halves side by side. Not one behind the other. I have even seen a ASV with a aux. hyd cooler just for good measure. It's under pics of new 100 I think. Heat is the worst enemy so the cooler the better.

Also after thinking about what I posted last night here's a new twist. A timberax is the most efficient user of available hyd hp. So a small timberax might be a good choice for that reason after all.

Have I confused you yet??? Robbie

Robbie-

No not confused Im with you on this-Hard to make that 20K decision being the only one out here it seems with the smaller track machine and no rentals in the smaller size head....Almost have to just wing it and do it and see how she flows...Does the timber axe have a hydraulic temp gauge? I know its got the pressure gauge...Yours is 73"?? Is that cutting width or overall width? I really like that Door upgrade (I believe Quikdraw?) has moded..The CAT radiator/cooler assy on my machine is mounted horizontally above the engine rear door.Also need to find out about a case drain on my cat...Has 7 different hydraulic fittings on the loader arm...2 standard flow. 2 High Flow. the other 3 are smaller and i think one of those three are a case drain...
Again, thanks for the feedback!-Scott

/ Timber Ax on CAT 257B High Flow #7  
No temp gauge. That would probably just worry me watching it all the time. That's what the idoit lights are for. Yes mine is the 73" model. Its like carrying a VW bug on the front of my tractor. It is a 73" cut with an overall width of about 86-89" One cut with mine is a good width trail in one pass.

VW Huh? Wow!
I look to make a decision this week. who knows I may end up with a new machine/package all together ...lol..I will be out of new machine warranty this week...Eeks..:rolleyes:

scott-

/ Timber Ax on CAT 257B High Flow #9  
Just "been there done that" My tractor warranty runs out next month. I just extended my warranty with powertrane for 2 years.

I didnt realize you could extend it...Did you have to bring it in to the dealer to look her over before they lengthend it? Just wondering...My machine is 2004 they would probly tell me they couldnt do it......

scott-