Timber Ax results pics

/ Timber Ax results pics
More pics, new job-rained out for now....think i underbid this one but i never saw a certain portion of the parcel. Super thick vines..and wet.also 50 year old barbed wire fence running through it...my bad- ill learn from it i guess- After 1.JPG

After 2.JPG

After 3.JPG

South Before1.JPG

/ Timber Ax results pics #12  
Nice job, where the weeds so high that when you were finished you found a Jetta:D

Shane

/ Timber Ax results pics
Haha-Yes i found 3 of them! All TDI's too! Ya know I get 46 MPG in that thing?

/ Timber Ax results pics #14  
Terra Firma Scott said:
Haha-Yes i found 3 of them! All TDI's too! Ya know I get 46 MPG in that thing?

What's the MPG when pulling that little CAT?:eek:
Another great looking job! If I can't afford the new Denis head, the timber-axe may well be a good investment for re-grind. Those are some good looking chips. How often do you sharpen when mulching that low to the ground? How long does it take? I would like to set up the T-300 with one so it could go behind me. Not yet sure of the economics yet though.

/ Timber Ax results pics #15  
Have you ever tested the axe on a slash pile?

jmf

/ Timber Ax results pics #16  
I have done several piles with my timberax. It is probably the toughest thing you can mulch as far as wear on the blades. Timberaxs do better on green material so they can grab it. Slash piles are usually dead and the timberax would rather through it than pull it in. But it also helps to have the piles long and lower too. I have also found peolpe under estimate the size of material in the piles and you'll run into 8" plus logs and that is tough. Been there mulched that!! As usual...my .02 cents Robbie

/ Timber Ax results pics #17  
Hey Scott. Nice work. It's hard to find a starting point when you pull up to that kind of mess.

/ Timber Ax results pics
Thanx for the thumbs up guys-

Dirty I still get 46 mpg in the jetta cause it only pulls my butt around! haha I get between 8 and 10 mpg in the F350...U can run a Timber Ax on a T300 I have seen them...You have quite the arsenal of equipment started there! You really have that CXT? What kind of MPG that gets? :eek: haha..Very nice site by the way!

JMF It eats piles too...

Sharpening the ax between 8 and 24 hours of use. depending on how often i keep her in the dirt..:eek: built a small riser pad to gain access and be at a more comfy height when sharpening...
DSCF0001.JPG

DSCF0002.JPG

DSCF0005.JPG

/ Timber Ax results pics #19  
Nice machine and mulcher. Do you find the Cat has enough power for what you are doing or do you wish you had a little bigger? Don't get me wrong you have a beautiful machine i alway have my eye open for a SS i wouldn't want to go any smaller than yours but do you think i would need to go any bigger?

Shane

/ Timber Ax results pics
Thanx RT-My first intentions with this machine was bucket work only doing house pads,final grades,pulling driveways,etc for builders in new construction.

It wasnt until 6 months after I saw my first MULCHER and it was on a larger CAT...287b to be exact...Became obcessed with getting one for my smaller 257 but most people I talked to said too small...The only thing that kept a glimmer of hope for myself on getting that mulcher was that it was a high flow....No one had run a mulcher on a 257 or equivalent that i could find..no real world feedback from anywhere to be found...My machine is only about 57 net HP....Nearly half what these guys are running...I blew the engine 8 hours after running the Mulcher...overheated....and intake pipe came off and sucked in dirt into turbo etc...Cost me an engine....100 hours later I have not had a single problem with the machine...so did the mulcher kill it? or was it weak and nearing its end anyway?

I can honestly say NOW after doing work with it I want MORE HP...But this little cat does a great job just a litlle slower.I like the fact its not as large as the other machines too..I can get in tight spots well....Im not out clearing 10 -100 acres for developers either..trying to gather smaller jobs since i could easily overwork my 257...

Long story short-get something 100hp range or higher if you can.I basically am just runnin what I brung...

Last edited: