Timber Frame Tractor Home

/ Timber Frame Tractor Home
Okay......this is the last post for tonight as this gets us to present. The main frame is up. Now I need to raise the lean-to which its clearspan header is a 6"x10"x16' timber and assemble and raise the rafters which are common rafters cut from 4"x8" timber as apposed to trusses.

Pic 1 shows the frame from the front. Pic 2 shows the side and back and Pic 3 proves that the tractor will fit and if you noticed...the door is 8' high so I will never ever again try to drive into the garage with the ROPS up.....someday I'm gonna have to repoint them bricks.

Regards,
Kevin

Attachments

• MainFrameRaised1.jpg
    MainFrameRaised1.jpg
    199.8 KB · Views: 1,003
  • MainFrameRaised2.jpg
    MainFrameRaised2.jpg
    211.1 KB · Views: 934
  • TractorFits.jpg
    TractorFits.jpg
    184.1 KB · Views: 2,606
   / Timber Frame Tractor Home #12  
Lookin' good.

I remember years ago, This Old House did a timber frame home. I fell in love with the style and mechanics of this type of construction. Would love to have a timber frame barn someday.

Thanks for sharing this project with good photos. Keep 'em coming.

/ Timber Frame Tractor Home #13  
Hey Kevin! Quite an amazing project! You may set an all time record for an overbuilt 12'x16' shed, but I can just imagine how much you are enjoying putting it up. If I were to tackle such a project, the size seems just right for not having to get into very large scale lifting/moving equipment. I think it is good you did not wait to assemble this structure. Green oak of those dimensions can move a lot in the first few months after being cut.

I look forward to your progress. See me clapping!!

Mike

bmac said:
Lookin' good.

I remember years ago, This Old House did a timber frame home. I fell in love with the style and mechanics of this type of construction. Would love to have a timber frame barn someday.

Thanks for sharing this project with good photos. Keep 'em coming.

I've been staring at barns since I was a kid and have always wanted to do this. The only thing I regret is that I didn't have time to cut it myself but if I had waited for that I would never have gotten this far.

Kevin

Michael_E_Tx said:
Hey Kevin! Quite an amazing project! You may set an all time record for an overbuilt 12'x16' shed, but I can just imagine how much you are enjoying putting it up. If I were to tackle such a project, the size seems just right for not having to get into very large scale lifting/moving equipment. I think it is good you did not wait to assemble this structure. Green oak of those dimensions can move a lot in the first few months after being cut.

I look forward to your progress. See me clapping!!

Mike

Mike:

Overbuilt it is but that is what made me choose the Amish to cut it, I spent a couple months talking with several timberframers who gave me all various opinions and ways they would do it i.e. hemlock timbers, only 2 bents, etc. When it came to the Amish they were clear; what ever I wanted they would do but they overbuild their frames and use white oak. Such as the center post on the back wall. The 8"x8" will easily span the 10+ feet but they put a 6"x6" in the middle to support it. For the loft on the front half they used 3"x8" joists 16" O.C. I'll be able to park a car up there.

The size is just right for me to do. The knees don't work like they used to and arthritis in the hands doesn't help either so the weight is managable espesically since like most of you, around here things only get done when working alone.

Like I said...I know I will regret the size when it comes to storage but I will never regret the experience nor will I regret the fact that when I look at it as an old man knowing that it is still just a pup.

Regards,
Kevin

mudcat said:
Outstanding job! Can't wait to see more.:)

Thanks Mudcat. I'll keep the thread updated as I progress. Depending on how the weather holds I hope to have the lean-to and rafters up and steel on the roof for X-mas. One thing I am not looking forward to is having to walk new galavized roofing on a 12/12 pitch roof. The peak will be 17+ ft. up and the roof steel is nicely oiled or what ever they put on it to make it like a slick sheet of ice.

Siding will have to wait abit as I have asked Santa for a coil siding nailer for X-mas because I'm not about to pound up 1500+ LF of siding.

Regards,
Kevin

/ Timber Frame Tractor Home #18  
Thank you very much for the pictures of your new barn building process. It's a work of art!:D

Now tell us, why did you hide it out back out of the way? In my estimation such work should be front and center!:D

/ Timber Frame Tractor Home #19  
Kevin you're living my dream. Pinch yourself twice, one of them for me.

Glenda's ironing her clothes over my shoulder early in the morning and we're both in awe.

Keep the pictures coming.

/ Timber Frame Tractor Home #20  
I was hurting just thinking about unloading it so I got with my locale lumber yard and he took delivery and then brought it to the house with his boom truck.... Ask Home Depot to do that.

Amen.....Kevin, this couldn't be more true. I get a kick out of hearing how much people like their local Home Depot, Lowes, Walmart, etc. Great pics by the way. Congrats.

jk