Timberwolf tw3 n tw hd pto log splitter

/ Timberwolf tw3 n tw hd pto log splitter #21  
J_J, your saying that with 26 hp at the pto, I can't run the tw3 6 sec cyc @17 ton n tw 3hd 9 sec @20 ton?

What I am saying is that with the pump pumping 21 GPM, and the relief valve set to 2200 psi, that requires 36 HP.

You don/t have the HP at the PTO to pump 21 GPM at 2200 psi, so you have to figure cycle time on what HP you have, and tonnage by the pressure.

One question might be do you run your tractor engine at max. Max rpm will provide the most GPM's. The relief valve regulates the pressure.

Your indicated rpm for the PTO at 540 is not the max engine rpm.

/ Timberwolf tw3 n tw hd pto log splitter #22  
leonz,

What ever are you talking about?

-------------------------------------------------

Hello J.J.

You can purchase electric drive reduction gearboxes mounted on small carts
for PTO powered implements in Europe like silage wagons, silage blowers, grain and hay elevators/augers, grain driers etc.

Not common at all over here but a big thing in small farming areas with fewer tractors
as its more cost effective to have these medium voltage driven gearboxes rather than a tractor to run them for stationary work places like elevator/auger locations/grain driers/bin fans etc.

/ Timberwolf tw3 n tw hd pto log splitter #23  
I think I understand what you are saying, and that being alternative ways to power a pump.

However, if you had to power that 21 GPM hyd pump with a valve relief of 2200 psi, you would still need the equivalent of 32 HP.

If he switched to a two stage pump, he might get away with a 3 to 7 HP electric motor.

Several of TBN members have done that.

Last edited:
   / Timberwolf tw3 n tw hd pto log splitter #24  
Since they dont make a 32 or 36HP electric motor, that would leave going with a 40HP motor. Assuming he has 3 phase, the motor would cost more than the splitter. If he dont, now we are talking about a big phase converter. Nothing like turning this into a $10,000 project:confused2:

/ Timberwolf tw3 n tw hd pto log splitter #25  
Reference cycle time: Log Splitter Speed Calculator by International Hydraulics

- 4" cylinder with a 1-3/4" ram & a 24" stroke with a 15 gpm pump with no load = 5.2 sec to extend, 4.2 sec to retract, total cycle time = 9.4 sec.

The only way this will change is to:
- Increase gpm of the pump
- Use a small bore cylinder (Not recommended)
- Have a larger diameter ram which will will cause it to retract quicker but will not effect the extend/splitting time.
- Decrease the length of the stroke

/ Timberwolf tw3 n tw hd pto log splitter
I ended up ordering a stand alone log splitter broke the piggy bank n ordered a american cls super log splitter it has 30"x4"x2" cylinder with a with 22 gpm 2 stage pump n 11 hp Honda engine, they said it's about 25 tons, I know that a 4" bore w/2" ram set at 3000 psi~18 tons, but a sharp wedge can interpolate the tons to higher #, I guess.

/ Timberwolf tw3 n tw hd pto log splitter #27  
A sharp wedge has nothing to do with it. Splitter tonnage is to be taken with a grain of salt as they all over rate them. Just marketing.

22gpm with a 4" bore makes for some good cycle times. That's what I built.

Although I'd be a bit concerned with only 11hp though.

I took some logs from same batch locust, oak n walnut tried it on 5 different splitter n timberwolf n american split the wood with no problem, the other 3 had more tonnage but struggled so I don't know what to say.

/ Timberwolf tw3 n tw hd pto log splitter #29  
I am not saying wedge design doest effect how easy it splits.

I am saying it does NOT effect how much tonnage the machine is.

Apply 5# of force to a sharp knife vs 5# to a butter knife. Obviously the sharp knife cuts better. But its still the same 5# applied.

So apply your 18 tons to a sharp wedge and it may indeed split better than 25 tons applied to a lesser wedge design.

I just picked my log splitter bought a american cls super spliter 30" cylinder went with a stand alone, nice craftsmenship well built, I got a lot logs to test it this weekend.