Time to 'fess up

/ Time to 'fess up #11  
Re: Time to \'fess up

I was in the high-end bbq grill business; not uncommon to sell grills in the $2K - $5K range. Nearby dealers cut their prices a lot more than me. Customers who bought on price alone went to them. When they came to me for service, I always asked, "Why don't you get it serviced where you bought it?" The answer was usually something like, "They didn't know what they were doing and screwed it up." My reply, "Don't you think that expertise and training come at a price?"

Then, I would go ahead and fix their grill, but I cut absolutely no corners. Most grills come with a parts-only warranty. Those customers who bought somewhere else for price were charged every penny that I was entitled to charge for the labor, including pickup and delivery charges, travel time, shop supplies and anything else I could charge and still sleep at night. If there was any doubt as the to cause of the problem, I strictly adhered to the "book" on the parts. If the owner's manual called for annual cleaning of the burner, for example, and I could see the owner had never cleaned it, the owner paid for the part, not the warranty.

My own customers were given more of the benefit of the doubt. If you want good, expert service, you'll pay for it, one way or the other. When I bought my tractor, I bought it from the local dealer who I knew would treat me the same way. I paid more for the tractor, but I have come out ahead, already.

If my local dealer had a rotten reputation or treated me badly, I would likely have paid more to buy it further away. The tractor itself is just part of the ownership experience. The other part is support.

Of course, if you do all your own maintenance, and never have anything break, buying on price alone is probably OK.

/ Time to 'fess up #12  

A little trick to get the best price...buy on the last day of the month. Most sales organizations will do just about anything to squeek in that last sale before they close out the month.

/ Time to 'fess up #13  

take a look see and drive a Century. Good CUT and pricing is very attractive.... /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
for that size property 30-40 hp will be plenty, FEL is really EZ off/EZ on, beefy too.....

good luck,

bluebonnet2

/ Time to 'fess up #14  

Very well stated, Don! That has been my experience as a consumer. Maybe this is too "philosophical" and drifting a little away from our new poster's original theme (welcome, Kev!), but I keep the Old Golden Rule in mind when dealing with people in business as well as personally. That relationship goes both ways, and the dealer sees a lot of people, and I'll bet makes a fairly accurate judgement about what kind of person he's dealing (or not) with. I've always been stumped by how some of my otherwise lovely and sweet friends can turn into dragons when they enter a dealership of any kind.

We've always paid a few cents more for our oil, but we've made it back in service and in little deals here and there (shaved labor hours, parts and other purchases at cost, etc.). I had a brief and torrid affair with the Big Orange Box up on the hill several towns over, but am back to the faithful and forgiving local lumber dealer. He has saved me more $$ over time by understanding what I was doing and making suggestions, even though I could knock a few cents off most purchases by driving farther and standing in line forever. I still fight that feeling that I'm getting bled a little when I pay, but I get things done faster & make less trips. I bought a mower just yesterday from a dealer and paid more than I could have at Sears, Wally World or even with my Hot Orange honey on the hill, but I know that I will be keeping that unit for as long as possible, and he will be making money on parts (or not, if a little advice will do the trick) as he continues to "own" that mower. Same thing for my saw (soon to be saws I hope).

I do not think full retail is necessary, either, Kevin. As you have no doubt read on other threads, it is the dealer attitude that makes the sale. Maybe it's not really price that is making you hesitate but the attitude you are getting from them. I wonder if dealers are getting overwhelmed with the traffic of prospective CUT owners and are having a hard time adjusting to doing business with them. It's a different crowd from the farmers.

/ Time to 'fess up #15  

Kevin, you are doing all the right things. I still recommend trying to find the dealer who is close and will "bend over backwards" to help. They may have to come out to fix a "simple thing" and if you are not in good favor, you will end up paying more in the long run.
I can vouch for my JD dealer here in south central Texas. I am surprised by how cheap many of the parts are. Yes, I actually said they are cheap. I'm sure some dealers are higher. I used to sell parts for a Jap M/C dealer and we used a higher price matrix that the surrounding dealers came up with.
For instance,
Brand new blades for my shredder= $32. or $52 installed. These things weigh probably 10 lbs each.
Heck, a flimsy blade for my Snapper was $24 and it might weigh 2 lbs.
There are many other things I have bought from them and wondered how can they stay in business selling at these prices? I could go on and on.
I want a 4710 too. I'll get a price from my dealer and post it here in a couple of days. Just so you can compare.
Kyle

/ Time to 'fess up #16  

Kevin,

I'd be interested in your location. There are numerous dealers in the area. But i'd like to hear who you have been talking too. You can send a PM. For a specific brand and dealer I can PM you my experiance. Still favorable.

HTH
-Mike Z.
Part of Northern VA. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Time to 'fess up #17  

I just bought a Kubota L4330 hydro a few months ago. I have enjoyed every minute of operation and was glad to have made the purchase. I feel like I got a good deal on the tractor by shopping a couple of dealerships to get a feel for the tractors and options and implements. I ended up buying the items in the signature below for what I think was a good price from Byrd Tractor in Manassas. After deciding what I wanted, I faxed a request for quotation to a half dozen dealers in the area including the model, options and implements. The responses included a range of total price of about $1,000 if I remember correctly. At the end of the day, it came down to location, perceived responsiveness to needs and other intangibles.

I am sort of surprised that the dealers are not being competitive, but it is possible that their inventory is drying up compared to when I ordered mine and they have less incentive to cut prices. In support of that, it seems like we are seeing a fair number of people who are posting that they are having trouble finding the tractor that they want in inventory or on a dealer trade. Presumably, it is because Kubota underestimated the response to their zero percent financing deal and didn't make enough tractors. (The financing helped me to get going sooner...)

Also, a side note on the L4330 versus the L4630. If you study the specs, you may conclude what I did, which is the 4630 is not worth the extra money. It has the same frame, engine displacement and peak torque, just a higher peak HP rating because it has a higher rated engine speed. I believe that there are no other differences. I would have only taken the 4630 if the 4330 had not been available. If bigger than the 4330 were necessary, I would easily and gladly jump to the 5030!

Either way, good luck in your search and let us know what you end up deciding.