Time to Sell Tractor?

/ Time to Sell Tractor? #11  
When I got my first tractor, I also knew little about how to properly use it, and I knew
noone who could show me. I made a bunch of mistakes.

Now we have forums like TBN where lots of folks volunteer to help.

Just a couple of things off the bat: you always have to have ballast on the 3-pt hitch when operating the loader. Your owner's manual usually says you should not even INSTALL the FEL without ballast. I did not get an OM with my first tractor. :-(

You almost always want to be in the lowest gear range when using the FEL. Higher
range than that and you can stall the engine, or burn the clutch. A properly-
driven tractor's clutch should last 1000s of hours.

For stability, you want to widen your rear wheel track to the widest setting, if you
have AG tires.
Stay in 4WD all the time, unless you have pavement. You have
no front brakes.

Don't give up. The L3130 is a great tractor.

OP, read the above again, especially the bold parts. A loader is useless on this size tractor without rear ballast on the 3 pt hitch!

I don't really agree with the stay in 4wd all the time, but in this case it's probably wise.

Slow down on the rough ground! Get a box blade to smooth everything out! Have the clutch in, or out, don't ride it! Have the rear tires filled, if they aren't already.

If you are not enjoying using the tractor, you may not be the type of person to own a tractor...

/ Time to Sell Tractor? #12  
For me one of if not the most important question is, do you "want" to operate a tractor and DIY or do you just have stuff you want done?

Given the desire and time, neighbors and TBN members can help you learn, but if you just need stuff done and running a tractor is an unpleasant chore rather than a fun challenge, pay to have it done and skip the cost, maintenance and devote your time to things you enjoy; just a suggestion.

/ Time to Sell Tractor?
Things are a chore because I have to make time to go up there. Get things ready, try to work, and put things away so nothing gets stolen. All the while someone is waiting for me to do something someplace else.

I NEVER have time to do what I want to do or need to do. Always rushed. Maybe things will be better when we move and I am there all the time.

A box blade isn't going to smooth out the really bad roughs areas... Gonna take a disc, harrow, some better dirt than the stuff that is there, boxblade at the end. Again, something I just have not been able to get to or the disc and harrow to do it.

/ Time to Sell Tractor? #14  
I have a Kubota Grand L3130 that I purchased just about a year ago. I am about fed up with it and I am sure its my fault.

In that time I have yet to find a situation where the FEL is of any use to me. I either stall when using it or get about two shovel loads in it. Never anything in between.

I have a slope that according to the "offroad info"on my Ford f-150 is about a 3 degree slope. It gives me the willies anytime I am driving across it.

I have rough ground that I mentioned in another thread that shakes me to death when I try to mow.

I am thinking when the house is finished and we can move it, I just bite the bullet and pay someone to get everything smoothed out and get grass growing. I sell the dang tractor and get a riding lawnmower to keep the grass short. If anything else comes on I will just need to find someone with a tractor to come in and fix it.

Seem reasonable? Is it possible that someone is just too stupid to operate a tractor and make any progress with it?:mad:

Actually many of us have the same thoughts many days. :)

If was not for trying to give the kids (just turned 16 so I do not have to drive any more but the ride is something else) experience with buying and using equipment hiring it down would make more sense on all levels. Projects can drag out of years when life events keep popping up like health, weather, etc.

I grew up on a farm and was five when I started driving the tractor when dad was picking corn by hand and got tired of pulling it up but it is still not easy relearning. We got the 12K pound backhoe and that helped a lot and cost $7200. The guy bought it and after he cleared a place and built his house he sold it.

Get someone to give you a price to do the major stuff and get it done now. The base work needs to be down and down right. Sometimes that means equipment that we do not have is required. Unless one is a good operator renting equipment often does not make sense because it takes more hours because one is training.

/ Time to Sell Tractor? #15  
A box blade isn't going to smooth out the really bad roughs areas... Gonna take a disc, harrow, some better dirt than the stuff that is there, boxblade at the end. Again, something I just have not been able to get to or the disc and harrow to do it.

Have you ever used a disc and harrow? Have you ever used a boxblade?
Tractor Attachments And Skid Steer Attachments For Any Tractor Or Skid Steer Here are some great videos of implements in use. A boxblade set at the proper angle and teeth properly adjusted is one of the most versatile implements made as well as being great ballast for the FEL.

/ Time to Sell Tractor? #16  
You should be able to finish your land with a tractor that size. With only a B2320 I cleared 3 really rough acres on my rocky, sloping land. I used a rear grading blade ( pulled from 3PH) and just drove drove drove to loosen the soil and get a rough grade. Then I picked up the loose rocks or dub around them with the bucket to haul to the pile. Kept working at it until I finally used a hand rake to finish and plant. Took a few years but it is now a real nice lawn easy to mow and looks good landscaped.

/ Time to Sell Tractor? #17  
I think a little coaching from someone proficient with tractor operation and FEL work would help you a lot. If you know of someone, just ask them to help you by ground coaching a bit to show you the angles needed. Unfortunately this isn't going to help much for the fear of slopes. This is only conquered by successful operation of hours on slopes to gain some confidence as to what the tractor is capable of.

I can't add a lot to what has already been said by the above quoted poster, and others, but I do understand that you just can't get on a tractor and expect to be a good operator immediately. I remember my first FEL equipped tractor and how for the first 2 weeks, feeling frustrated that I could hardly ever seem to scoop up much with it. I had to station my wife out by the side to help guide me in the angles of the bucket and how to get a bucketful. It was frustrating for a while, but I stuck with it and soon I was moving hillsides and tons of creek gravel from here to there! All it takes is practice.. I would recommend you get a dump truck of either gravel or dirt, which ever you have some use for delivered at your place, and go out there and practice with those piles until you get the "hang" of it. A hydro tractor is easier to operate in FEL work but I learned on an old non synchronized gear model with a 2 stick FEL control. Not ideal, but I sure moved tons of material with that old machine. Oh, and it was 2WD too, also not ideal. I would highly suggest you make time to go there and do nothing but play in that pile for how ever many hours it takes until you get the FEL basics down. If I was there, man I would help you and show you things, but I am not there. But you can figure this out yourself if you put your mind to it and practice, practice, practice.

James K0UA

/ Time to Sell Tractor? #18  
I have a 3830 Kubota. Same frame size as yours. I would never sell it. I've done everything with it while my house was being built. I have many attachments for it. It continues to be a work horse at our properties.

So if you don't find value in your machine then you should sell. Hire the work out if doing the work yourself is frustrating.

Owning a tractor and doing work yourself requires time, focus, thought and practice. It also requires some can do attitude. If you don't have all the above only bad things will result.

Good luck

/ Time to Sell Tractor? #19  
Things are a chore because I have to make time to go up there. Get things ready, try to work, and put things away so nothing gets stolen. All the while someone is waiting for me to do something someplace else.

I NEVER have time to do what I want to do or need to do. Always rushed. Maybe things will be better when we move and I am there all the time.

It took me many years to learn everyone has the same amount of time.

Sounds like you need to make some changes in your life... Good luck!

Last edited:
   / Time to Sell Tractor? #20  
Don't sell it YET! You said what the problem is, and it's NOT the tractor, or the operator; it IS the operator's attitude, and the tractor gets the blame. If you change your expectations to being realistic you will get more done and feel better about yourself AND your tractor. If you can wait until you move and then decide after another year, or two that you just don't want/need the tractor then sell it. In the meantime set aside enough time, say a week to go to the property and get some stuff done without looking at your watch to figure out where else you think you should be at the same time.
Tractor work takes concentration, practice, and a willing to work hard, but less hard than doing the same task by hand, attitude. Setup your tractor as suggested, rear tires loaded, ballast like box-blade on 3PH, etc. and go use it until you start to overcome your time related frustration, and see some benefit from your efforts. Soon you'll feel like you don't know how you did anything without it! If you can't get to the exact point of feeling like, "wow, how'd I ever get buy without this baby" then sell it.

Don't give up- YET. Get someone local to the tractor to watch you operate it and give you some pointers. Send the wife to visit some friends while you take some time to learn/ENJOY your seat time in your machine. Feel the sense of accomplishment in giving yourself and the machine a break from being frustrated by not having given enough time to your endeavors to date- landscaping doesn't happen overnight.