Time to start the garden...

/ Time to start the garden... #71  
   / Time to start the garden... #72  
You stole my kiddie wagon. I was wondering where it had gotten to
LOL..., it may look like yours but I got this one for my Mom for Mother's Day back in the mid 70's, per her request. Something to set baskets from the garden for canning whatever she was picking that day. Found it in the barn when I moved back to the homeplace here. Handy little sucker...

/ Time to start the garden... #73  
LOL..., it may look like yours but I got this one for my Mom for Mother's Day back in the mid 70's, per her request. Something to set baskets from the garden for canning whatever she was picking that day. Found it in the barn when I moved back to the homeplace here. Handy little sucker...
You sure? looks awfully familiar.

/ Time to start the garden... #74  
   / Time to start the garden... #75  
Wouldn't you know it. After waiting impatiently it's now mid 70s and sunny and I'm sick.
Friend of mine popped in last weekend with a cough. I picked it up from there.
Last 3 days I've hardly opened the door, spending my day on my recliner under a blanket.
The worst is the cough. My ribs hurt from it and there are times it feels like I may blackout when it starts.
Not COVID but nasty non the less.
Hopefully playing in the dirt by Monday.

/ Time to start the garden... #76  
Planted those questionable potatoes. Dug up a few today. No movement.
I don't know what the issue is.
From last years harvest, not some purchased treated stuff.
They showed buds about the size of cherry pits and that's all she wrote.

/ Time to start the garden... #77  
Garden looks sad this year.
Plants have hardly moved.
It has been dry but we received a solid rain in the last 24 hrs and more could be on the way.
Either heat wave or cool, very little average/normal temps.
stuff doing the best is 6 tomatoes and garlic and onions I planted in planters. The tomatoes are more than double in height and look that dark green vigorous.

/ Time to start the garden... #78  
I just got tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers and spaghetti squash set out last week. It had been pretty hot and dry for 2 weeks. Great hay making weather, not so much for setting out garden plants. I've been watering the cabbage plants every 3rd evening just to keep them going. They don't look too bad considering.

We did get 1" of rain over a 16 hour period. Came down slow, and the soil soaked up every drop. Cooler temps are helping with stress for plants. More rain predicted for later today and tomorrow. Another 1" - 1-1/2" expected through Wed. night.

I'm pretty convinced spraying plants with peppermint extract mixed with water ( 2 TBS. per gallon of water) is keeping Deer from eating plants. I noticed Deer had eaten the tender tops off of the peas, and right beside it left the beet tops alone. Last time I planted beets, deer ate them clear to the ground, and they never recovered. Looks like deer pulled one tomato plant clear out of the ground, so mixed up 2 gallons of peppermint spray, and sprayed practically everything out there, including 4' inside the area of the Rye mulch, and pinto bean cover crop. The marigolds I set out are slowly growing and saw some blooms starting Sunday morning. Some sunflowers have been growing too in this dry weather, not sure where they got enough moisture to germinate, let alone grow. Some of the very first I planted to set the planter are over a foot tall, while later planted ones haven't come up yet.

Sunday morning I planted more than several different types of pollinator flowers including several types of smaller sunflowers. Should make a nice looking border along the road, and hopefully also act as a deterrent for deer.

Got the Rye mulch rolled last week and seems to be staying down probably due to fracturing the stem base and being so dry. Soil was extremely dry in that mulch as the Rye sapped all of the moisture out. Drove those T-posts with a light hand driver from TSC. It's become a habit to count how many licks it takes to drive a post. In other years in normal soil it takes 8-10 licks to drive a post. Minimum was 18 on these, and 42 was the most. I keep telling myself, I'll bet people pay good money for a cardio workout like this...

Attachments

• 20230611_201155.jpg
    20230611_201155.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 50
  • 20230609_092700.jpg
    20230609_092700.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 45
  • DSC01669.JPG
    DSC01669.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 47
   / Time to start the garden... #79  
Owari Satsuma mandarin oranges . Cold resistant enough for the south.. becoming very popular again across southern part of most southern states View attachment 793422
Wish we could plant citrus but north Texas just gets too cold unless I put them in containers and bring them in and out in the middle of winter...

Still might do that. - We're in zone 7 and most citrus are good for zone 8 and higher.. Even the new hybrids...

This what I'd try Texas Superstar®

/ Time to start the garden... #80  
My watermelon plants are suffering from George Costanza syndrome.
It's been cool and rainy. I swear the plants are smaller now than when I put them in.
Potatoes might be ready by Christmas.
Everything is on hold except the baby weeds.