Timing diesel tractor

/ Timing diesel tractor #1  

frank360

Bronze Member
Tractor
Mahindra 2615
Trying to find info on how to check fuel timing on my 22 hp kioti tractor my book says find a diesel timing light. but i thought there was some kind of way to check it without a light.the only thing i see is f1 f2 f3 on the flywheel nothing on pully in front of engine.the book just do'nt say any thing. the tractor is 17 years old just want to check it out allways willing to learn more about diesel engines.

/ Timing diesel tractor #2  
Frank the only timing devices I'm familar with involve a sensor that picks up the pulse in the fuel line to the injector. The F1, F2, F3 you're referring to probably mark the point at which the injector for that cylinder should operate. Do you have a three cylinder engine?

/ Timing diesel tractor #3  
Look for a mark on the block (not the pulley) that the "F1, F2 or F3" would line up with. I would think the mark on the block would be on a machined area, rather then the casting surface. After all those years of operation, the machined surface might be a bit rusty...so look or feel for a relatively smooth surface.
Those marks probably indicate Top Dead Center (TDC) and a given number of degrees before and after TDC (for example, F1 could be TDC, F2 could be 10° before TDC...). Or, F1, F2 and F3 might be TDC for each individual cylinder, if your Kioti is a three cylinder engine. I should hope your manual defines what the F1, F2 and F3 markings are used for. If your machine is a three cylinder, do not assume they're numbering the cylinders from front to back!

The only time I've seen timing marks used without a timing light was for adjustment purposes, not checking the time. However, that was on gas engines, not diesels.

Here's a little info on timing diesels.

Just make sure you know what you're doing before you attempt this task!

/ Timing diesel tractor
Yes its a cylinder referring to a diesel timming light.where can i find one

/ Timing diesel tractor
the only thing my book say is to hook timing light to #1 injector pipe and point at fly wheel where the f 1 f2 f3 is located it a check window and abjust by adding or deleteing shims i just dont understand what to do at this point but thanks for info anyway.