timing marks on deutz injection pump

/ timing marks on deutz injection pump #11  
Sounds like your timmed incorrectly.It's hard to see the "punch" marks on the timming gears,but they should be there.As far as airation of the fuel injection pump from compression or comustion pressure goes,it is highly unlikely for two reasons.first the delivery valve in the pump will prevent it and secondly injection pressures are much higher then either.If the engine runs fairly well at idle but runs progressivly worse with an increase in rpm, it is running on the "retarded" side.To time the pump to the engine correctly several steps should be taken.If the pump was sent out for rebuild,make sure it was set at beginning of injection #1 cylinder when it returns.Next the engine MUST be set on top dead center #1 EXACTLY!Remember #1 is closest to the flywheel.The rest of the timming proceedures get a little complicated.It involves a process called "spill" timming.Buying or borrowing a FACTORY sevice manual is a good investment at this point.If you have a little mechanical savy and some patience,you can do it!!This all assumes that your pump is an in-line BOSCH P type pump.I just happen to be doing the same thing on the same model engine as we speek.Hopefully this helps,good luck!!!!!

/ timing marks on deutz injection pump #12  
G'day you do not say that it is hard to start or is smokey on startup so it sounds to me it is unlikely to be too far out in the timing i think that your rebuilt pump might be the culprit, can't remember if these run a boost signal line to the pump from the turbo/ inlet manifold but it could be a weak or incorrect spring on the boost diaphragm allowing it to go to full fuel and this can "flood" the engine i would be getting the pump checked again and tell them of your probs. Hope this helps:)

Jon

/ timing marks on deutz injection pump
thanks all, ended up being injector probs. and is all taken care of now and running like an air cooled kitten.

soundguy