Tin for Implement Barn

/ Tin for Implement Barn #1  

rcrcomputing

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kioti ck30
I am about to order the 26ga metal for my barn. I've a few questions I need you guys to wrestle with.. :)

I'll give you a few specs "before" you ask. ha
30x40
4/12 Pitch
13' Side walls
10' opening on one end
20' opening on front.
Truss's running the 30' Direction
Gravel Floor

The ridge cap seems to come in two sizes. 6 1/2" wide or 9 1/2" Wide.
While I do not plan to enclose this barn for a shop, I like to leave my options open. So, for now, I do not need foam closure strips. But it seems the 6 1/2" wide ridge seems like it could let rain blow in??

Also, I would like the ridge to be the vent.

So, which ridge cap?
Keeping in mind a future prepare for someday maybe turning the barn into a shop?

/ Tin for Implement Barn #3  
I am with Tallyho- if you ever close it in you will be glad you used the wider cap for ventilation. Believe me because I am now finding myself having to add gable end vents because when I closed it in I ended up with what I think is a mildew problem?

Oldstuff

/ Tin for Implement Barn #4  
If you don't use foam inserts in the ridge you may find wind driven snow will accumulate in the building. There may be other products that allow some air/moisture flow while excluding snow. Good gable vents allow the addition of fan(s) later if needed. MikeD74T

/ Tin for Implement Barn
If you don't use foam inserts in the ridge you may find wind driven snow will accumulate in the building. There may be other products that allow some air/moisture flow while excluding snow. Good gable vents allow the addition of fan(s) later if needed. MikeD74T

Yes, they make a closure strip that has kind of a filter looking stuff. It is also 6.00 each for a total of 164.00 added to the cost. :(

/ Tin for Implement Barn #6  

+1

Also, the fiber inserts will help keep wasps and hornets out of your building

/ Tin for Implement Barn
Ok,

I'm going the 6 1/2" ridge mostly because I don't want to knock of the 2x4's to make it wider. :) That will give me a 2" x 40' vent area which should be enough I'd imagine.

I'll be using the closure strips at the ridge which also let it vent.

Now, how about some "practical application" thoughts?
When installing the roof, what's the best way to get the eave closure strips on? Pull the panel up, then pick it up and put the foam down?
And do we need butyl tape at the eave?