Tinted window alternative for cab tractors.

/ Tinted window alternative for cab tractors. #11  
Any specific brand to search for or other info? Would be interested in doing this as we operate at night.

Take a look at the 3M Crystalline Automotive Tint, the Crystalline 70 or 90 appear to be a good compromise for light transmission vs blocking heat.

IR is reduced only in a very small spectrum of light. Window film can only do 3 things with heat and light. Absorb,transmit or reflect. One way or another the totals of these 3 will be 100% the lighter the film the more light and usually heat passes through the glass. A film like "limo" is dark and will absorb heat and reradaite it back into the cab. All window films no matter how light or dark will reject 99% of UV .. So will any laminated glass. I have been in this business since 1985 so if anyone needs help picking a material for their tractor I will. E glad to help

I didn't mean for it to sound as though a tint could do ALL of that at the same time, but only that there are alternatives other than a dark tint. 12 years ago I had two of our vehicles tinted, one with a metalized tint that was only lightly tinted and one with a tradional dark tint. The metalized film blocked/radiated less heat, and was much better at night for visibility. (both look as good today as the day they were intalled)

Is it true that metalized film will or can block cell transmissions? Also, do you have any experiance with the 3M Crystalline films?

/ Tinted window alternative for cab tractors.
Ok. im very pleased to bring you guys a VERY positive review on this product. It just came in today and it took me no more than 45 minutes to cut, trim and hang this product. It works 100 percent as advertised and reviewed on RV forums. Un beleivable product. As you can see in the pics below, you cant really see in and you can see out just fine. very cozy inside cab and dark for when it is hot and nasty out. a/c will love you. When the sun goes in, just undo the suction cups at the bottom and roll the product to the top of the doors and secure with velcro or whatever you choose. Once its hung, it takes you 15 seconds to roll back up to the tops of the doors. Like i said, i kept the tint on my back window so i didnt hang any there. You guys that are interested in this product will have to spend the extra 20 bucks for the longer roll to have material left over to do the back window. I have a little left over but not enough to do a back window. You will need to order extra suction cups for the back window as well. Its 3 bucks for 5 extra cups which will be plenty enough. Heres the pics
IMAG0256.jpg

IMAG0257.jpg

IMAG0258.jpg

IMAG0259.jpg

Weird how you can see out just fine huh
IMAG0260.jpg

i got a chance to test this out in some hot weather with a blazing sun today. Was pretty chilly in the cab with the air set on 1st notch. Was very dark and comfy in the cab.

/ Tinted window alternative for cab tractors. #14  
The 3m Crystaline film can not hold a candle to Llumar air 80. These films do a good job at reducing solar heat gain while remaining very clear. They do not do much for glare reduction. This can be a good thing because the glass will not be to dark at night. There are several new generation ceramic films that offer great solar reduction, a nice amount of glare control and minimal interior reflection.

thought i would update some more on the sunshades. I have been mowing in 100 degree heat just as many of you have. The air conditioner can hold very cold temperatures even on setting 1 still. There is no reason for me to use setting 2 or 3 unless i had the tractor off outside cooking in the sun with it not running. The one impressive thing i noticed is that the back window which has limo tint on it and not the sunshades, gets pretty hot from the sun where as the windows with the sunshades generate no heat at all. Been thinking about ordering more to put on back window instead of that tint. Very impressive product and works as advertised

/ Tinted window alternative for cab tractors. #16  
thought i would update some more on the sunshades. I have been mowing in 100 degree heat just as many of you have. The air conditioner can hold very cold temperatures even on setting 1 still. There is no reason for me to use setting 2 or 3 unless i had the tractor off outside cooking in the sun with it not running. The one impressive thing i noticed is that the back window which has limo tint on it and not the sunshades, gets pretty hot from the sun where as the windows with the sunshades generate no heat at all. Been thinking about ordering more to put on back window instead of that tint. Very impressive product and works as advertised

I read this thread sometime back and followed it. I too tried the window tint and had problems seeing right before dark. Where I work sunshades were installed in the breakroom last summer.Really help on keeping the rooms cool. Can see out but depending on where the sun is can't see much from the outside in. I followed your thread and ordered the sunshade product. I installed it on the side glasses on both sides of the cab. Stayed cool on in to June and couldn't tell a lot about the product then. Started getting upper 90's and then those days of 102-105 and knew then the sunshade was working. I was out moving some logs with the grapple a few minutes ago and could feel the sun on my back in the cab each time I was facing west. As soon as I post this I've got a piece for the back glass and it's going in this morning. I used the suction cups and they have held tight better than I thought they would. I'm very pleased and thank you for posting this. Sure helps keep the sun and heat out. That's a big plus too for the medication I'm on.

I read this thread sometime back and followed it. I too tried the window tint and had problems seeing right before dark. Where I work sunshades were installed in the breakroom last summer.Really help on keeping the rooms cool. Can see out but depending on where the sun is can't see much from the outside in. I followed your thread and ordered the sunshade product. I installed it on the side glasses on both sides of the cab. Stayed cool on in to June and couldn't tell a lot about the product then. Started getting upper 90's and then those days of 102-105 and knew then the sunshade was working. I was out moving some logs with the grapple a few minutes ago and could feel the sun on my back in the cab each time I was facing west. As soon as I post this I've got a piece for the back glass and it's going in this morning. I used the suction cups and they have held tight better than I thought they would. I'm very pleased and thank you for posting this. Sure helps keep the sun and heat out. That's a big plus too for the medication I'm on.

really glad i could help someone with this review. good to hear my friend