Tiny teeth

/ Tiny teeth #11  
I'm across the country from you but I have heavy clay here which gets very hard in the summer.

I've had decent success with the piranha tooth bar which isn't that different than lots of "tiny teeth" like those, but I definitely still can't just approach a hillside of clay and expect to take a chunk out of it - my backhoe's 12" bucket with four bigger teeth have enough trouble, but if I want loose "dirt" I have to backhoe a bunch, then scoop - or wait for the wet season, when it's just a mess. I do get a few weeks in the spring when I can dig it (still need to use the backhoe) rapidly and then FEL scoop it.

To be honest, with a 65" bucket and a fairly light tractor I wouldn't expect to be able to dig much clay especially with the weight of the tractor I see. My bucket is about that weight; my tractor is 4000# bare weight, plus filled rears, and trying to dig the front bucket into anything that's not loose is a great way to spin the tires. You may be able to get more shaving/scraping with the bucket with the teeth, not sure.

/ Tiny teeth
I'm across the country from you but I have heavy clay here which gets very hard in the summer.

I've had decent success with the piranha tooth bar which isn't that different than lots of "tiny teeth" like those, but I definitely still can't just approach a hillside of clay and expect to take a chunk out of it - my backhoe's 12" bucket with four bigger teeth have enough trouble, but if I want loose "dirt" I have to backhoe a bunch, then scoop - or wait for the wet season, when it's just a mess. I do get a few weeks in the spring when I can dig it (still need to use the backhoe) rapidly and then FEL scoop it.

To be honest, with a 65" bucket and a fairly light tractor I wouldn't expect to be able to dig much clay especially with the weight of the tractor I see. My bucket is about that weight; my tractor is 4000# bare weight, plus filled rears, and trying to dig the front bucket into anything that's not loose is a great way to spin the tires. You may be able to get more shaving/scraping with the bucket with the teeth, not sure.
I agree with your assessment. Lucky i do have a few inches of topsoil before I get to the clay.
I did however recently dig a small test pond on the property. To see if it was even feasible to do with my tractor. I was able to dig out a 30ish foot diameter to about 4 ft deep in a few hours. Learned a few things from the experience. 1. Im going to rent a bull dozer when I dig the big pond. 2. Digging a big hole in the ground certainly brings out my inner 10 year old self. 3. Clay is tough digging.
My goal with the tiny teeth isnt so much to be able to dig holes, but to help work the few inches of topsoil without getting into the clay. As much as is possible anyway. Like I said from the beginning, this experiment might be a waste of time, but for less than $50, its worth a little tinkerer time.

Attachments

• IMG_20230620_184112_713.jpg
    IMG_20230620_184112_713.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 66
Last edited:
   / Tiny teeth
By the way, to all that have replied, or will reply later... I do very much appreciate the feedback. Hopefully I will have some progress to report, and pictures to share soon.

/ Tiny teeth
Still no teeth, but got some work done on the fops

Attachments

• IMG_20231112_164328_746.jpg
    IMG_20231112_164328_746.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 77
  • IMG_20231112_164316_323.jpg
    IMG_20231112_164316_323.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 75
  • IMG_20231111_172944_275.jpg
    IMG_20231111_172944_275.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 73
   / Tiny teeth #15  
Thats true. And admittedly, im certainly a novice when it comes to tractor work. There are operators out there that can thread a needle with a behemoth machine.
Yeah, i was always in awe what they can with a 150 ton demolition rig, compared to how shaky i operate my Bobcat backhoe attachment. Untill i had to take some measurements on a big Hitachi triple boom in the yard and moved the boom to ground level myself...

Well, once youve experienced the difference in smoothness and precision between budget homeowner stuff and top of the line construction machinery hydraulics, you no longer see them as gods, but as highly skilled professionals 😉

/ Tiny teeth #16  
I had no luck digging with a toothed bucket in our clay soil midsummer. It's just too wide of a shovel to push into the ground no matter the number of teeth for me. I hope your results are different

/ Tiny teeth #17  
I have the Piranha in hard NC red clay/dirt, no complaints here. Post up some pics when you get it finished. Cheers.

/ Tiny teeth #18  
How would a box blade with scarifiers set shallow work in what you're trying to accomplish..?? Not sure how far you want to move the dirt, but could always just work up a small pile, then carry it to where you need to put it. Work the high spots from different angles so the scarifiers don't cut in the same track, and break dirt up into finer material. I'm seeing locally many used one's in the $500 range. Maybe more than you want to spend at this time, but seems it'd be a lot easier on your tractor and loader. Just my opinion.

/ Tiny teeth
Shipping of the teeth have been pushed back again till December 4th. So very frustrating. I go back to the boat in less than two weeks. Looks like this project will be delayed till i get back from my next hitch

/ Tiny teeth #20  
I have nine teeth on my heavy Kubota bucket. If I'm scooping loose soil/gravel or pine needles - it's OK. Otherwise - I use the scarifiers on my roll over box blade( ROBB).