Tips for my spring project??

/ Tips for my spring project?? #1  

donconnery

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota BX23S
Mornin' TBN!

If you've seen any of my other posts, you'd know I am a novice at best. I have a bad section of yard I am hoping to renovate/rework, and was hoping the collective experience on here could check out my plan before I cause more work for myself....

My setup - BX23S (TLB), 54'' box blade. Rear Tine Tiller (not implement), just ordered LPGS0548 for the driveway, will be in in a few weeks.

My Problem - My side yard where my garage is (about 100' long) slopes in the wrong direction. The entire yard slopes down from the road to the back of the garage (water problems.)

My Plan - Remove about 30 problem trees from the area, all are less than a foot in diameter. Dig up/pull out the stumps. I plan to till the area by hand or have someone come in and do it (don't have a tractor tiller....yet) Then my plan is to use my box blade to pull from the road to garage to flip the grade to the way it should be. Finish off with LPGS to smooth out and then seed and hay.

Does this sound feasible for someone without a lot of experience but a lot of time on their hands?? Any other ideas?? Let's talk!

/ Tips for my spring project?? #2  
It will absolutely work. It will just take time. Used to grade new lots for subdivisions with a Case 480 and a box blade. Just make sure any utilities that may be in the area are buried deeper than you need to go.

/ Tips for my spring project??
It will absolutely work. It will just take time. Used to grade new lots for subdivisions with a Case 480 and a box blade. Just make sure any utilities that may be in the area are buried deeper than you need to go.

No utilities back there thankfully. Not sure how big a 480 is, but glad you think it's doable.

/ Tips for my spring project?? #4  
I'm not sure how much higher the road is than the back of your garage but this is what we did when we had our new garage built last summer. Because our house we had built 15 years ago is up there pretty good so we don't have water problems, our new garage is lower so the water will drain towards the front of the garage, I made a small gully about 10 feet from the garage door so the water hits that and then runs in the gully to the side of the garage well away from the cement blocks. The gully is 28 feet long which is the width of the garage.

I also waterproofed the outside of the cement blocks last fall, the inside will get done this summer.

Last edited:
   / Tips for my spring project?? #5  
I'm thinking your back, hips, thighs, legs, ankles, arms and shoulders would thank you immensely for the purchase of a 3 point 48" tiller.

I google mapped it, it's between 1/2 and 3/4's of an acre. Hoping to pound it out in a day or two weather permitting. There are also some folks that will till for 60 an hour (2 hour minimum) which I might explore as well. I have another 3 acres that I am hoping to do the same with in the future (relatively flat, just very bouncy on the mower.) A hand tiller is probably all I will need, because the wife would never let me do the whole thing at one time.

/ Tips for my spring project?? #8  
My thinking is you may need to till it (or whatever else you do) several times because each will only cut down a few inches. Till, scrape with blade, till deeper, scrape with blade, till deeper, scrape with blade, etc.

My thinking is you may need to till it (or whatever else you do) several times because each will only cut down a few inches. Till, scrape with blade, till deeper, scrape with blade, till deeper, scrape with blade, etc.

I知 really hoping thats not the case. A tractor tiller isn稚 in the budget this year. If I知 only tilling it to get rid of the sod socthe dirt drags, what makes you think I値l have to till it mire than once? I was thinking worst case scenario if the ground underneath after the initial till was hard I could drop the rippers on the BB?

/ Tips for my spring project?? #10  
Yep, just keep scarifing the dirt with the box blade, you'll accomplish the same result as a tiller. The soil will definitely be a lot 'clumpier' using the BB.