Tips on Jinma 284 Starter Troubleshoot and Replacement

/ Tips on Jinma 284 Starter Troubleshoot and Replacement #1  

Smalljobs

Gold Member
Tractor
Jinma 284
My Jinma 284 has had starter problems for nearly a year. There are nearly 700 trouble free hours on the machine and the starter was original. Battery is new. Even when hot, the only way I could start it would be to activate the compression release, spin it over, let go of compression release, and then it would start. Otherwise, the starter could not turn it over.

I'm a competent mechanic but not strong on electronics so I read every forum thread on starter troubleshooting. I cleaned all connections, used a meter to check all grounds, etc. Then I found an article from Circle G tractor that showed a simple way to check the starter/solenoid and bypass the key switch, clutch pedal switch, etc. I was able to quickly determine that the starter was no good.

I already had a new spare starter so it seemed like a simple swap. Actually it's simple except for the top bolt and here are some tips:

On a loader equipped machine, access to that top bolt is difficult. I used an extension and universal joint but once the bolt begins to come out, the socket can become trapped between the head of the bolt and a step where the starter diameter increases. There's barely enough room for fingers in there. Finally, I was able to get the socket off the bolt and fully back it out. Installing the new starter top bolt presents the same problem.

1) I could barely start the bolt with my fingers but not really turn it. I used a Dremel tool and cutoff wheel to cut a screwdriver slot in the top of the bolt. Once finger started, I was able to use a screwdriver to turn the bolt all the way in. The socket still got trapped in place and was difficult to remove.

2) Another way is to plan ahead and buy a metric Allen head together with the correct drive socket. I was close to doing this but chose to cut the slot. An Allen head for that top screw would make the job so much faster. It would be perfect if the parts suppliers included a socket head top bolt with every replacement starter.

3) Another way is to make a socket as short as possible, having only enough depth to grip the bolt head. Use a grinder to remove the end of the socket. I was ready to do this when I decided to make a screwdriver slot instead and not ruin the socket.

The replacement starter was a success and winter snow removal is around the corner.