Tips on keeping top link from backing off

/ Tips on keeping top link from backing off #21  
I've looped a tension cord around the arm on the top link and hooked the ends of the tension cord back to the tractor. This worked the one time I tried it.

The lock nut works, too, but is a nuisance to unlock.

Ralph

/ Tips on keeping top link from backing off #23  
Weld a stud on the jam nut and tap with a hammer.

/ Tips on keeping top link from backing off #24  
I've never heard of such a thing...in more than 30 yrs. of seat time I truly have never had a problem with the top link on a ford jubilee, JD - 3020 or NH TC-29..I must be blessed. What are you folks doing to cause the locking nut to move ? Mine never do

Greese on the top link???

/ Tips on keeping top link from backing off #25  
I've looped a tension cord around the arm on the top link and hooked the ends of the tension cord back to the tractor. This worked the one time I tried it.

The lock nut works, too, but is a nuisance to unlock.

Ralph

I have the problem with my bush hog. I use a bungie cord. Come up from under the top link and loop over the T handles then crossing back down to lift arms. Works everytime. It does move a little but using a shorter cord would fix that.

/ Tips on keeping top link from backing off #26  
My locknut holds tight, but the little teardrop lock on a JD 750 definitely will work loose. My BIL nearly dropped his shredder because the 3rd link screwed almost completely out. The tail wheel was almost dragging the ground when I noticed it and flagged him down.

/ Tips on keeping top link from backing off #27  
Check out the top links at TSC. They have a few where a foldable "handle" folds out to help you turn the toplink, once length is set where you want it you fold the handle back down and it folds over a retainer piece of some sort that keeps everything from rotating. Bad explanation but looks like a nice solution, you'll understand it if you see a pic. No locknut required.

/ Tips on keeping top link from backing off #28  
cant say ive ever had mine move on me.

I grease mine and while i cant just spin it with 2 fingers, its certainly not HARD to turn either.

/ Tips on keeping top link from backing off #29  
I'm thinking that a hydraulic top link would be a really nice solution to this problem. ;)

/ Tips on keeping top link from backing off #30  
What timely post.. Just yesterday I hooked up the LX4 and noticed that the top link ends were not extended the same length and I swore that they were previously.. I thought maybe I hadnt actually adjusted them to the same length previously - but now I bet i did and it worked loose..

brian