TIPS ON TSC 4.5 INCH METAL BANDSAW

/ TIPS ON TSC 4.5 INCH METAL BANDSAW #1  

escavader

Veteran Member
Tractor
bx-23 ,
Wifey let me buy own xmas gifts.:D Building a tractor cab,have alot of square tube to cut.Ordered the saw today.Never owned a metal saw before,have ran large log bandsaws,are they similar.reading in past posts alot of you have this saw,or the identical harbor freight one.its comeing in a box im gonna set it up.Any advice ? thanks in advance
ALAN

/ TIPS ON TSC 4.5 INCH METAL BANDSAW #2  
Make sure you buy a good quality blade and make sure you square the whole thing up real good and recheck all your bolts and nuts.
I have one for sale for cheap money :D
Jim
:)

/ TIPS ON TSC 4.5 INCH METAL BANDSAW #3  
Juts follow the set-up instructions for the bandsaw, I think part of them are even in english. :eek:

I want to hear more about your tractor cab project!
You already have to sun shade canopy, right?

Are you goingto use Lexan and make rigid sides?

/ TIPS ON TSC 4.5 INCH METAL BANDSAW
SkunkWerX said:
Juts follow the set-up instructions for the bandsaw, I think part of them are even in english. :eek:

I want to hear more about your tractor cab project!
You already have to sun shade canopy, right?

Are you goingto use Lexan and make rigid sides?
IVE been planning and searching and looking at pics drawing pics,and sitting on the tractor and driving myself nuts for over a month now:D got the metal pretty well picked out.got a few other fab progects to finish up ,including a log arch for my tractor,or atv.probably gather materials now,start after x -mas.[ive even bought the paint already.
Iam gonna sell the plow truck[wife says i kill the lawn]looks like a front snowblower[undecided]and rear blade,next year.Itold her no way...unless i have a heated cab.so gonna build it now.
Idea is use the sweet fiberglass roof i have now,and build a sweet lookin metal cab i can leave on year round.Planning on metal jeep style door hinges,so can take off in summer.Also back panel and glass will be removeable in summer for hoe use.
Iam gonna use safety glass for windsheild and rear ,because im gonna have wipers and defrosters[think wiper will scratch lexan]mabey lexan windows in doors so they wont be heavy to remove.
Hard part is getting working it around the rops,but i got it figured out.ALSOwill have good visibility,and easy to get in and out of.Has to be strong in case i roll,but as light as possible so tractor aint top heavy.
Will have homemade heater [gonna buy cheap heater core and fan,and hoses ,fab my own box,run a hose to rear windowand have a discharge for front,mabey a opening to heat the feet:D
yep im a dreamer,but ill make it all happen,got all winter.
The roof on there now is off a golf cart [painted orange].Iabsolutely love it.Keeps me dry even on the hoe,unless the winds blowin.
ALAN

/ TIPS ON TSC 4.5 INCH METAL BANDSAW #5  
Which model is it? They had one that is almost worthless as it comes from the factory. The motor burns up and the blades do not stay on without some major tweaking. There are some good websites with lots of tips for that saw. If you can, go to Harbor Freight's website and post a link here to the one that you got. I think they finally changed models and the newer one is supposed to be better.

I have had the older model for about a year and a half. The best thing I did was purchase bi-metal blades for it at Rural King.

MossRoad said:
Which model is it? They had one that is almost worthless as it comes from the factory. The motor burns up and the blades do not stay on without some major tweaking. There are some good websites with lots of tips for that saw. If you can, go to Harbor Freight's website and post a link here to the one that you got. I think they finally changed models and the newer one is supposed to be better.

I have had the older model for about a year and a half. The best thing I did was purchase bi-metal blades for it at Rural King.
MOSSROAD,
Ibought the one at TRACTOR SUPPLY.Iread on this forum the one on HARBOR FREIGHT is similar.Isaw that thread with the bad motor,one of the reasons i ordered mine at TSC
ALAN

/ TIPS ON TSC 4.5 INCH METAL BANDSAW #7  
If it is this one, that is the same one I have from Harbor Freight.

click here

It may not be the same motor, but everything else looks the same.

/ TIPS ON TSC 4.5 INCH METAL BANDSAW #8  
Horizontal bandsaws are great. That one isn't going to cut repetitive cuts within a couple of thousandths, but it will get the job done, and probably last a pretty good while. As was mentioned, buy good blades, not ultra high dollar ones, but not the plain ones. Bi-metal is good, from somebody like Lenox or a dozen other manufacturers. Forget anything with carbide teeth. They work well for circular saws, but don't have the lasting power on most homeshop bandsaws.
If your cutting metal, put the belt in the slowest position the saw has and leave it there. Check to make sure the cutoff switch works when the part is finished cutting, clamp the workpiece good and tight, and walk away from it. If you stand there, your going to want to speed the saw up, or add a little extra weight to the arm, which will not do your blades any good. If you have a little extra money, get one of those deodorant stick looking things that you touch to the blade every now and then, to lube the blade. If you want to get fancy and messy, get a spray cooler, but I never have, and haven't had any problems with blade life.
You will enjoy having a saw you can set up and walk away from.
If you have a bunch of tubing to cut the same lenght, tack weld the ends together (at the opposite end) so they will stay together in the saw vice and not move "just before the blade gets to them".
A large piece of plywood under the area where the cut off parts drop will save your concrete floor from getting dinged up.
David from jax

THANKSDAVID,
just the kind of thoughts i was looking for:)
MOSSROAD,
Thats it i hope it works out for me
ALAN