Tire Chains, Home Made Anyone done it?

/ Tire Chains, Home Made Anyone done it? #11  
I made chains for my compact loader out of used semi chains,it don't take too long if you got a pair of chain pliers.

I added a crossbar in between every two existing bars exept by the latch(no room for one)
It got 16" ford rims and tires

Attachments

• snowblade 002.jpg
    snowblade 002.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 768
   / Tire Chains, Home Made Anyone done it? #12  
For the large ring type chains; (logging chains)

A trick I saw on TBN that impressed me was to use a car coil spring, cut to make a perfect circle, and welded to close the ring.
From there the fellow welded the lengths of chain to join up to the side lengths.
He also added bits of coil to create teeth on the rings.

Coil spring= very hard steel and low wear. (and perfect rings)

Smart! (wish I could credit proper person)
FYI, logger chains run, like $1000., but talk about aggressive!

/ Tire Chains, Home Made Anyone done it? #13  
For the large ring type chains; (logging chains)

A trick I saw on TBN that impressed me was to use a car coil spring, cut to make a perfect circle, and welded to close the ring.
From there the fellow welded the lengths of chain to join up to the side lengths.
He also added bits of coil to create teeth on the rings.

Coil spring= very hard steel and low wear. (and perfect rings)

Smart! (wish I could credit proper person)
FYI, logger chains run, like $1000., but talk about aggressive!

That's a really good idea.

/ Tire Chains, Home Made Anyone done it? #14  
I made chains for my compact loader out of used semi chains,it don't take too long if you got a pair of chain pliers.

I added a crossbar in between every two existing bars exept by the latch(no room for one)
It got 16" ford rims and tires

Forget the chains... I love that plow mount! The angle adjustment system is exactly what I'd envisioned for a FEL arm mounted frame and plow (blade to be made from half a scrap water heater)

/ Tire Chains, Home Made Anyone done it? #15  
Forget the chains... I love that plow mount! The angle adjustment system is exactly what I'd envisioned for a FEL arm mounted frame and plow (blade to be made from half a scrap water heater)
water heater ain't strong enough,you may as well use a 1/2 a coke can

BTW,without the chains my plow is useless(spinning out);)

/ Tire Chains, Home Made Anyone done it? #16  
water heater ain't strong enough,you may as well use a 1/2 a coke can

BTW,without the chains my plow is useless(spinning out);)

I think he wants to use the inner tank, not the white skin that holds the insulation on!;)

/ Tire Chains, Home Made Anyone done it? #17  
one of my frends made his own chains patterened after a skidder set. he just cut 5 in pipe 1/4 in wall into 2 in long pieces then plas cut them out to look like a 4 sided castle nut drilled 4 holes and used the same split chain repare links that i used .he has them on 26 in tires they realy dig in.. he says there a bit rough on the road but super in the bush

/ Tire Chains, Home Made Anyone done it?
I want to thank all of you guys for your info! Much easier to tackle this kind of stuff with help from everyone here.

rScotty I read your post, and I'm going to take a little trip to Murdoch's and get a looksie at some lighter chain that I was expecting .. If it's signicantly less expensive I'll go the DIY route... otherwise I'm going to go with tirechain.com ladder type and then modify them for a duo-grip type setup.

What about the clearence on the inside of the tire / tractor. Man when I look at my DK40 it's pretty tight down by the rim... a bit more up by the tread ... has anyone out there put chains on a Kioti DK40 ??? Pics....???

Today I made the effort to plough our driveway, to get a car to the road, and nip out ...

Hey SensibleNick... I have to admit when I think of Sweeden ... and "nipping out" ... I don't think of tire chains!!!!!! :laughing:

But I'd love to see your project as it comes along.. I'll do the same for mine.

Thanks again everyone for your input!

Tractor on

/ Tire Chains, Home Made Anyone done it? #19  
I think he wants to use the inner tank, not the white skin that holds the insulation on!;)

I was thinking inner tank;) 1/4" material is the minimum,and only for a quad or garden tractor.

Do it once and do it right;)

/ Tire Chains, Home Made Anyone done it? #20  
Made these...
chains.jpg