Tire Chains

/ Tire Chains #11  
I find that you dont need front chains for most tractor uses, as the rear chains alone did the trick.

Where i got into trouble was using a quick attach plow. without front chains the plow was nearly useless on my setup. the front of the tractor was pushed in the opposite direction of the plow. With the front chains, the plow works flawlessly.

I never needed chains on my old JD870 .... never needed them. but all i used was the blower in the winter.

I did have some winters where the tractor wouldnt push the blower into the piles very well, but this tractor only had 3 reverse speeds, and more than likely if i forced the tractor into the piles with the chains i would have stalled the tractor.

My new Kioti is an HST drive, so the chains really help in move the snow. i can slow or speed up at whatever speed necessary. i find that the chains really help in moving snow. And even with the chains, the wheels still spin on the ice at times. this action tends to help break up the ice quicker, and makes walking on the ice alot easier... so its a win win for me.

/ Tire Chains #12  
I find that you dont need front chains for most tractor uses, as the rear chains alone did the trick.

Where i got into trouble was using a quick attach plow. without front chains the plow was nearly useless on my setup. the front of the tractor was pushed in the opposite direction of the plow. With the front chains, the plow works flawlessly.

I never needed chains on my old JD870 .... never needed them. but all i used was the blower in the winter.

I did have some winters where the tractor wouldnt push the blower into the piles very well, but this tractor only had 3 reverse speeds, and more than likely if i forced the tractor into the piles with the chains i would have stalled the tractor--but the boots aren't on my feet.

My new Kioti is an HST drive, so the chains really help in move the snow. i can slow or speed up at whatever speed necessary. i find that the chains really help in moving snow. And even with the chains, the wheels still spin on the ice at times. this action tends to help break up the ice quicker, and makes walking on the ice alot easier... so its a win win for me.

I realise the topic is "Tire Chains", but these in the broader topic of "Chains" are great for fixing the walking-on-ice hazard:

Kahtoola MICROspikes Traction System - Free Shipping at REI.com

These are from REI(Recreational Equipment Inc.) and they're also available for $5 less(finally--something cheaper in Canada) from Mountain Equipment Coop(MEC.CA). I see REI users give them a 5-star rating, as do MEC users.

Our driveway and a paved parking area have steep sections that get very treacherous when icy. These things work like a charm. I also use them for hauling cartloads of wood down 12 concrete steps that can be snow covered or icy.

I have them on an old pair of boots that I use when it is icy, and similar to the tractor, the chains are on all winter. Actually, the chains are on those boots all summer too.

Last edited:
   / Tire Chains #13  
I'm up here in Canada and I manufacture snow chains for a living.... When it comes right down to it, it's a matter of personal opininion and what you find works best for you... But food for thought

If you have a front end loader and are plowing and are able to have down pressure, then chains will only be good on the rear end as the front end will not have any weight on it.... Skid steers.... if your only putting on 1 set, then just put on the rear axle for the same reason.

Chains on the front of a tractor are good because it assits in steering, expecially if you are driving the tractor down hill.

Chains are expensive.... for quality made ones... All comes down to what works best for you and what you can afford

/ Tire Chains
So Steve, did you end up buying chains? Which ones did you get if you did buy some?
Kenn, I did buy tire chains, I got them on line from tirechains.com, but I also had to buy wheel spacers to make room for the chains. I did not put either on yet but soon will after I recover from shoulder surgery.