Tire driven Sidewinder advice

/ Tire driven Sidewinder advice #21  
Intersting. I take it you have to keep the tire aired up or it would slip?

I guess if you cranked up the pto speed and dropped the pto clutch, you could burn rubber??? :D
Yes, 35 psi. It'll start to slip when not properly inflated. Haven't had to replace the tire in over 20 years of use. I have a live PTO so it ramps up.

/ Tire driven Sidewinder advice
For those interested in this cutter, this is a photo to show the size of the spindle and nut. The spindle is 1 3/4". I sure would like to find a copy of the owner manual to see the factory recommendation on when and how to maintain the bearings.
spindle nut.jpg

/ Tire driven Sidewinder advice #24  
My neighbor has a 5 ft model and it is amazing how it cuts, a 2 inch tree is nothing , Barely a bump when you run over one,

I had one (3 point), neighbor has a pull type and talk about a heavy cutter... anyway for the bearings I packed in some corn head grease. Since it will flow somewhat when it becomes warm I figured it would reach the lower bearing since I did not want the fight of taking it apart. When I sold it everything was still tight and quiet.

I do not consider any grease to be a forever/lifetime lube.

Did you check back later to see if the corn head grease had migrated down into the bearings? I'm still debating this issue with myself, probably over thinking it. Thanks for sharing your experience.

/ Tire driven Sidewinder advice #26  
No I sold it before I ever got back to check it out but I am almost positive it would have migrated down since it is a flowable grease.

Thanks. I'm going to load up the bearing cap area and give it a work out if this rain ever lets up.

For those following this thread, or others searching later on: I filled the area around the spindle nut (under the cap) with John Deere corn head grease and cut in thick, tall bahia grass for about an hour. I lifted the cap see if it had gone down into the bearings. There was only a trace of the corn head grease left around the outer rim. It definitely migrates into the bearings. It went so fast I think I will try some Lubriplate wheel bearing grease to see if it will go down into the bearings.

/ Tire driven Sidewinder advice #29  
Good to know it worked.