Tires Tire pressure - this can't be!!!

/ Tire pressure - this can't be!!! #1  

DFW

Bronze Member
Tractor
Task Master 432E
Tire pressure - this can\'t be!!!

I was going to check my tires the other day and couldn't remember what the dealer said is a recommended tire pressure. So, I get the manual out and it says 1.0 - 1.5 MPa, what the heck is an MPa. Well turns out (if I am correct) that an MPa is megapascal. I used the convert program I downloaded from TBN to convert 1 MPa to psi and it says 143. something psi. Yikes, my compressor only goes to 125psi, this can't be right. So, does anyone know what an MPa is and it's conversion factor? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Thanks, David

/ Tire pressure - this can't be!!! #2  
Re: Tire pressure - this can\'t be!!!

I'm going to suggest a printing error that put decimal points in the wrong place. If it said 0.1 to 0.15 MPa, that would equate to roughly 15-22 psi. Check the tires themselves, I wouldn't be surprised if they said something like 100 to 150 KPa.

I wouldn't be surprised either, if your oil pressure gauge was graduated in MPa; probably 0.0 to 0.5 or thereabouts

//greg//

/ Tire pressure - this can't be!!! #3  

On my tractor, 2430, it calls for 177-196 kPa for front and 78-118 kPa for rears. That's about 25-28 psi front and 11 -28 psi rear.

This makes more sense then what you have speced out. Definatly don't want to put in 100+ psi

/ Tire pressure - this can't be!!! #4  

Hanks got it about right on the pressures. Never inflate a light duty tire to higher extremes. Could ruin your day or even your life.
Had a guy in my town that owns a truck repair shop that killed himself trying to bead up a truck tire with excessive pressure, the tire exploded and rim/tire piece hit him in chest.

/ Tire pressure - this can't be!!! #5  

<font color="blue">I was going to check my tires the other day and couldn't remember what the dealer said is a recommended tire pressure. </font>

Hey David,

What I do is look at the tire Sidewalls. Read the tire pressure specs. It should have a maximum tire pressure and it may have a recommended tire pressure. If it is not in PSI, then use the figures in the SideWall and convert to PSI.

I make sure that I don't go over the Maximum Tire Pressure on the Sidewall, and usually put a little less than the maximum pressure, because it will absorb bumps a little bit better. On my little 224, I have Agriculture tread tires, and put about 26 to 29psi in the front and about 15 to 17 psi in the rears. But again,, I always, read on the tire sidewalls to get a better determination, as to what I should do.

Keep in mind that different tread type tires may carry different tire pressures on the Side Wall.

Have a nice day,
Joe /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Tire pressure - this can't be!!! #6  

Guys,

The common metric units for expressing tire inflation pressures are either in "Bars" or "kilopascals - kPa".

One Bar is equal to 14.5 pounds per square inch (psi).

One kPa is equal to 1/100 of a Bar or 0.145 psi.

I think the easiest way to remember the conversion is the inverse form, i.e. to convert from psi to kPa, multiply the psi by 6.89 to get the pressure in kiloPascals. I usually just remember that the factor is about 7.

Another consideration is the meaning of the pressure imprinted into the sidewall of a tire. It is the Maximum pressure allowable and corresponds to the Maximum load the tire is supposed to carry. For most, but not all automobile and truck tires, the tire has been sized to the vehicle so that the Maximum pressure is near what is actually required. In other words, the tire is just barely large enough to support the expected weight it carries at the rated speed (also imprinted on the sidewall.) So you are safe if you inflate to the pressure shown on the sidewall.

In contrast, almost all tires on tractors of all horsepower levels, are sized to carry much larger loads than the tractor normally imposes in "normal" operations. So if blindly inflate the pressure shown on the sidewall, it could be much more than is actually required. You should go by what the operators manual says instead.

Now when using a front loader, the front tires will have to be inflated to maximum or close to it in most cases when lifting the maximum amount the loader is rated for. Also if you are using an extremely heavy rear 3 point hitch implement, the rear tires should be inflated to the pressure required to carry the load with the implement raised. For most compact utility tractors with typical tires that are used for both loaders and rear implements, the front inflation pressures will typically be higher than the rear. Typical numbers might be something like 18-22 psi in the front and 12-16 psi in the rear, but, of course, the specific tire sizes and loads carried will determine the actual required pressures.

Tractors that are only used to operate mid-mount mowers can usually be set with lower front and rear inflation pressures. This is the most important consideration for minimizing soil compaction, rutting, and turf damage. It is not just a matter of weight--it is a matter of how that weight is carried. The lower the inflation pressure, the lower the pressure on the ground in the contact patch of the tire. The general rule of thumb is that the Average contact pressure over the entire contact patch area is only about 1-2 psi more than the inflation pressure in the tire. When inflated properly for the load, you will see a long contact length front to rear and the lugs in the contact patch will be touching all the way out the their ends. If you can stick your finger partially under a lug touching the soil, the tire is overinflated in most circumstances.

Probably more that you really wanted to know, but it is something I have been helping farmers understand with regard to optimizing tractor performance for many years.

JackIL

/ Tire pressure - this can't be!!! #7  

I was going through the same math ballet trying to get the maximum allowed tire pressure in the front tires for loader work. THEN... /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif I noticed that along with those throw away rulers that you buy from Harbor Freight & the like that show measurements in inches & some other worthless scale, my Homier Traveing Tool Sale tire pressure gauge that I'd been using for some time & I never noticed, on the back side had Kpa pressures.... Next time I was in a Harbor Freight Store I looked & sure enough, their tire pressure gauges read the same way/2 scales...Talk about feeling stupid... I think I get the prize on that one /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif..

/ Tire pressure - this can't be!!!

Jack thanks for that excellent write-up. I did check the tire walls and here's what they have on them:
Front: Max Load 565Kg at 250 KPa cold
Rear: Max Load 1335 Kg at 230 KPa cold

So, If I can do the math right, that's 36.25psi max on the front and 33.35 psi max in the rear.

Thanks again for all your help and suggestions.