Tire Problems

/ Tire Problems #1  

Kylew

I purchased a used B20 about a month ago (thanks to this forum for input, it's a great toy!). My problem now is that yesterday while driving on the gravel road out front of my house, the right front tire "blew". It was flat in a matter of two minutes. I went to the dealer who sold me it and he gave me another used tire but told me to go to a mechanic to have it placed on the rim. My question is that it states it's tubeless and yet there was a tube in it and it was recommened to me to put a new tube into it. What gives? Is there a better solution? FYI - I have not run over anything sharp (only used it 11hrs) and the "new" used tire is flat as it did not keep it's air. I now have to go back to the garage. (R-4's)
Any info would be greatly appreciated and keep up the discussions, they are invaluable! Tks.

/ Tire Problems #2  
Kylew, the easiest way I know to find a leak in a tubeless tire is to inflate it and either put it in a tub of water, or sometimes simply running a small stream of water on it while slowly turning it and watching for bubbles. Sometimes very small leaks are difficult to find even with running water, but I keep a spray bottle handy in the shop all the time with water and liquid dish soap (only about 10% soap) and even small leaks will show up with that. If it's a tubeless tire, with no punctures, the leak may be around the bead, or it may be the valve stem. And the only reasons I can think of to put a tube in a tubeless tire are: (1) if the tire is so badly damaged it will not hold air as a tubeless - in which case I wouldn't want it anyway, or (2) if you intend to put a corrosive liquid ballast in it, like calcium chloride.

Bird

/ Tire Problems #3  
Ditto what Bird said. If you're being told you need a tube in the tire, find out why. Did you buy the B20 new? It sounds like the tire has a puncture and they put a tube in it so it would hold air. If it came from the dealer with a tube in it and it was new, you need to ask some questions, because, in all probability, he put it there, and he didn't do it because he wanted to give you something as a gift.

Mark

/ Tire Problems #4  
If you have not fixed the tire yet, take Bird's advise and air it up and see where it is leaking. Since it has a tube in it, you will not be able to tell for sure, but mark the tire where the bubbles come out. Take it where they can put in the tube and when they remove the tube, find out whether to patch the tire or change the tube. Ask the tire man what he thinks happens. Usually there is little doubt. The tube was underinflated and pinched and went down or the tire slipped on the rim and tore the valve stem or a screw, nail or thorn caused the flat.

Most people would simply put the recommended amount of tire sealant in the tire and let it fix itself if the tires are not filled with liquid. This will fix normal punctures, but not torn tubes or valve stems.

/ Tire Problems #5  
Kylew, Most likely the tire was previously punctured and a tube was used to fix the problem. However, I have been a tractor loader backhoe user for 25 years and my experience is that the bead on tubeless tires can not withstand the forces of heavy use by the loader. Every backhoe I have ever used have blown out the front tire bead causing the tire to loose air. The moral of the story, put tubes in your tires.

Tractor & Equipment Auctions

Mikasa MVC-82VHW Vibrating Plate Compacter w/ Wate (A33548)
Mikasa MVC-82VHW...
Lowery 6ft. 3pt. MD Box Blade/Unused (A33978)
Lowery 6ft. 3pt...
Unused 2in Hitch Receiver Attachment, (A33079)
Unused 2in Hitch...
Coates 850 Wheel Balancer (A32932)
Coates 850 Wheel...
John Deere 6400 Salvage Tractor (A33041)
John Deere 6400...
Cardi T1800 102-MU-EL A1 120V Wet Core Drill (A33548)
Cardi T1800...