Tire question

/ Tire question #1  

Dirtboy

Silver Member
Tractor
Cant decide
Hi all !!! I read this forum all the time and have posted very little. I just had ankle surgery this morning so now I have 8 weeks to really bother everyone /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif I will be purchasing my very first tractor in the spring of 06. I have decided on A 4320, 400x loader, and A 448 backhoe. Along with A tiller, rear blade and landscape rake. Im having trouble on one thing and that is tire selection. Ive searched past post on tires and I think the R1s would be the choice but the thing that concerns me is are the R1s designed to handle the weight and stress of loader and backhoe work? I know its A stupid question. I know Rockyridge uses R1s w/hoe and loader. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Mike

/ Tire question #2  
They should work, but I would get the R-4's myself.

/ Tire question
Thanks Beenthere. When I stopped at the dealers last week he had A 4720 with R4s, they sure looked beefy enough. I wonder how well they work in the snow? Thanks Mike

/ Tire question #4  
The R4 tires work well in the snow. I doubt they are as grippy as the R1's but are close. I have the R4 tires on my 3720 and like them. The R1 tires get good grip, but I do not think they have the volume, and thus would not hold as much ballast in them if one wanted. I mow with my tractor too, and have never had a problem with ground impact. I think the R4 tires would be a poor choice if these machines were not MFWD, but since they are, the traction and versatility makes them a good choice for most. I did notice though that on the 4000 series the clearance is quite tight, I am not sure if one could fit a good tire chain on that wheel for winter, unless he/she reversed the wheels.

John M

/ Tire question
Hi John, I noticed the same thing on the clearance issue. I think the extra weight of the tractor might help with traction in the snow. My property is flat w/ no wet spots. I just figured I would get the R1s since I wouldnt be mowing with it. Looks as though R4s will be the tire for me. John I saw in another post you were looking at A 4000 series. if you were , what makes you second guess your 3720 ? Mike