Rims Tire stem help.

/ Tire stem help. #1  

Anomic

Tractor
Shopping
Fluid filled tires on a John Deere 950. My metal stem is leaking and loose. Looking at options.

Ch3 stem is what I知 holding with my broken thumb. I can稚 find another part number what is the larger part?

Ive never used metal stems. That larger knurled nut at the base moves when I wiggle the stem and leaks air, and the stem itself also won稚 close the valve so it leaks with the cap off.

With that much rust what are my options? Is this tire tubed? Can I replace the base the core screws in? Use some kind of cement or epoxy on the base?

I can submit something I learned. For regular non fluid tires this is an easy option 4x4TV Product Review - Colby Valve System - YouTube

/ Tire stem help. #3  
Depends if you want to refurbish your rims or just want to stop the leak and have the machine useable. If that is the case, I would say, put in a tube.

/ Tire stem help.
Tires have plenty of tread but sidewalls are dry rotted. I think they maybe original. Would tubes work in that situation? And can tubes be fluid filled?

/ Tire stem help. #5  
What size tire is it. Going by the looks of it, that is a tubed tire. If you have the weight off the tire and you are quick, you can swap the the metal stem and core out with a pair of pliers holding the knurled nut that keeps the tube in the tire, if it’s not seized to the tube. If it is seized, you will likely need a new tube. It all depends on how much it leaks if you want to go that far. It can have air trapped between the tube rim and tire. Depending on how bad the rust is a new or newer rim might be necessary. I have changed several 30’s, 34’s and 38’s with another person helping but it’s not an easy job to do and can be dangerous but have done it on weekends to keep baling hay. I did tire repair for a job one summer. There are several special spoons and tools to do it. The hardest ones are the ones that have to be mounted while the rim is on the tractor. If you live in a rural area most tire shops are reasonably priced and have the experience to do it, if you can bring the tractor to them, if they come to you, the price is a lot higher. I would really recommend someone else doing it if it is a 30 or bigger and most places should charge 50 to &100 to change the tube in the tire and have a better chance of not ruining the beads on the tire.

/ Tire stem help. #6  
Tube tires can be filled with fluid. Depending on how cold it is where you live is what they will use to fill with fluid ( water with rv line antifreeze, beet juice etc). Are the tires stress cracked or coming to pieces on the sidewall? If you decide you need new tires most tire places that deal with ag tires can fill the tire with liquid and have the tools to do it.

/ Tire stem help. #7  
If you are wiggling the large knurled nut next to the rim and you are leaking from below that your actual valve stem is leaking.
That to me looks like a tubed tire and the tube is actually leaking, maybe right at the base of the valve stem.
That knurled nut should have been snug to the wheel and securing the valve stem.
If your tire is still mostly filled you will likely want to find a tire shop to do a service call.
It will not be cheap, they will need to pump the fill out into a barrel, break down the tire, pull and repair or replace the tube, clean and dry the wheel and tube, remount the tire, install the tube, refill the liquid and possibly add more.
It will be a 2-4 hour process depending on the size of your tire.
You can also do it yourself, it will only take a day or 2 or 3 depending on what all it needs and a few special tools.
View attachment rim 1.jpg View attachment rim 2.jpgView attachment rim 3.jpg View attachment rim 4.jpg View attachment rim 5.jpg View attachment rim 6.jpg
My last one took about 3 hours to get the tire broken down and the tube out and tire dismounted, then a day of wire brushing and welding up the rust outs and putting bushings in to make a nice round hole for the valve stem, and lots of grinding to get it smooth. A day for the paint to dry and then most of the next day putting it all back together again.
This tire was in pretty poor shape so I also installed 3 boots to repair the tire and a new $50 tube.

/ Tire stem help. #8  
I just went through a similar situation on my 2N. you’ll need to break down the wheels to see how bad the corrosion is on the rim. most likely the bead of the tires will be “rust welded” to the rim and you’ll have to destroy the tire getting it off. I hate to be the bearer of bad news but if the rust is really bad you’ll need a new rim. It doesn’t make sense to put a new tube on a very rusty rim because the rust will eventually cut through the tube unless of course you spend a great deal of time grinding everything down and refurbishing such as the previous poster did.

/ Tire stem help. #9  
I had rusted out rims and decided new rims rather than reworking the old ones. Cost would not have been so bad if the shipping was more reasonable but I needed double bevel rims and they were rare in my unusual size, only one place that had them.

Last edited:
   / Tire stem help.
展hat size tire is it
12.4-28 on 11

çš„f you can get the tire to them?
Yes I have a æ–—oading dock where I can back my truck up to a hill and get the wheels in the back. The one tire/auto guy does a lot of tractor tires he replaced and filled the front for me a few years back they where 600$+!

é„*re the tires stress cracked or coming to pieces?
No just dry rotted. I need to check when u get home but I think they said tubeless (could still be tubbed anyway idk)

çš„f you are wiggling the large knurled nut next to the rim and you are leaking from below that your actual valve stem is leaking
Perfect description. It leaks below that nut.

The ourside of the rims he rims don稚 look bad except right around that valve stem I知 guessing the fluid fill is corrosive Becuase it has rusted that area (the part I showed in the picture).

It stinks to put money into it right now Becuase I had a big mouse problem this winter and need to tear into the wiring also.