Tire Valve Stems?

/ Tire Valve Stems? #11  
I've got an HF manual tire changer, so it's no big problem to break the bead on a tire, replace the stem, then I air it up and if it's on something that needs a balanced tire, I'll just take it into town and have someone balance it for me.

I've been kicking myself ever since I spent the $35 on one of those HF manual changers. Why, oh why did I not do that sooner?? It took me all of 10 minutes total to put a new front tire on the tractor. If I had driven into town to have it done it would have blown 2 hours easy.

/ Tire Valve Stems?
It does seem when people spend hundreds of dollars on each tire to be safe that a $1 stem can make the tire a moot point.

I wonder if Costco uses a better stem... I know they use Green Caps for Nitrogen and so far... I have never had a bad stem with a green stem cap.

Didn't make it to the parts store today... plan is to compress the tire and pop in a new stem... the other side.

Thanks for the recall info...

/ Tire Valve Stems? #14  
I've had Les Schwab tires do all my tire work for the last 37 years. Only valve stem related problems - the last four years of the twenty seven years I owned the Ford 1700 tractor. The calcium chloride solution finally started taking out the valve stem on each rear tire every year. Real PITA. Major reason the M6040 has RimGuard.

Otherwise - all my vehicles - except motorcycle - ride on Toyo tires from Les Schwab. No valve stem nor tire problems.

What do you want to bet that they used to be brass and today are cadmium plated steel......same thing with the tank bolts on your commode. Those little blue/white circles you put in the tank to keep the bowl blue eat away both the plating and the steel.

/ Tire Valve Stems? #15  
Agree on the commode bowl bolts, been there.
Also have yet to see a small utility China tire (the small 5 and 6 inch ones) that holds air, even when tubed as well.

/ Tire Valve Stems?
I went to the tire shop, not the one where I bought the tire, and had the valve stem replaced.

They also balanced it and I was expecting to pay... said no charge... just remember us when you need tires...

I was very surprised... it was a busy shop with 6 bays and everyone working... took 10 minutes from rolling the tire out to putting loading it in the Samaria...

I noticed Slime sells a line of valves and accessories... might pick up some... metal and rubber.

Tire is not common and only found one manufacturer that still makes the heavy duty load rated 14 " tire...

They are made for the old VW bus which has a high GVW and regular 14 inch tires simply fall short.

I have found these bus tires top notch for trailers with 14" rims...

Here is a detailed explanation if anyone is interested or needs enhanced load with a 14" rim.

Tires & Safety (Bus/Vanagon/Eurovan) | BusDepot.com