Tire with bllast needs Air

/ Tire with bllast needs Air
Frank,

I think the tire went low when I was checking to see if the tires had liquid ballast. I just wish I could tell what kind of mixture is in there. I'd like to redo them with something less likely to ruin my rims or the environment.

Although I'd like to say I received it that way - I have to blame myself. When I took off the valve stem cover and depressed the valve, water came out. I was happy to see my tires had ballast - as I've learned from this forum that this is definitely a good thing, but I couldn't stop the water from slowly running out. I quickly put the stem cover back on and this seemed to work. Unfortunately I noticed after that the tire was now lower than the other one.

/ Tire with bllast needs Air #12  
Anyone use tubes in their ballast filled tires? Seems like this would protect the rims from corrosion.

The valve stem is another thing though.. I soppose the seat for the seal will eventually corrode.

Soundguy

/ Tire with bllast needs Air #13  
This has probably been answered somewhere else but...

Should the pressure reading on a filled tire be the same as the pressure specified for the same tractor / tire un-filled?

/ Tire with bllast needs Air #14  
Both my Case tractors have calcium in the rears. Five years ago I was checking the tires on the DC and when I took the valve cap off it was like there was no valve core. Had a heck of a time removing the remains of the old core. Now I replace the valve cores in all calcium loaded tires yearly. It's cheap insurance.

Soundguy,

from what I've read around here and in other places - they won't fill your tires with Calcium Choliride without tubes as well. This is, of course, due to the fact that they know that the mixture WILL corrode out your rims in a very short time (5 years tops). When I was shopping for a new tractor and asked about having the tires filled they all told me that it was standard procedure to put tubes in - which was one of the reasons it was a fairly pricey (at least for water and Calcium Chloride) addition. I was quoted anywhere from $200.00 - $300.00 dollars. Most of the dealers I talked to simply had Les Schwab or a similar tire store do that for them.

/ Tire with bllast needs Air #17  
Ok, so you put a tube in. Fill it with calcium and off you go...
You are back in the woods and pick up a thorn. Now you have a flat tube and calcium in the rim and everywhere else it leaks......... Doesn't sound like a good idea to me with the alternatives available these days...... Tom

Tom,

I agree. I just wish I could figure out what kind of mixture I currently have in my tires and I wonder how much it might cost to get something more friendly for all concerns. I have read other threads here on TBN that suggest the RV antifreeze is a really good substitute - not harmful or corosive.

/ Tire with bllast needs Air #19  
I've got tubes in my tires, and they are loaded. Since I live in a part of California where the minimum temp hardly ever gets to freezing (and not for long), I've actually just got water in them. There's plenty of room for expansion as long as I don't get a hard freeze, and in four years I haven't had a problem.

I poke a hole in my tires reasonably often (couple of times a year), so I've seen my rims fairly recently and they look great. Yeah, I get water in them when that happens, but so what? Its a great way to know when I've punctured a tire ("where the heck is that water coming from?" /w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif).

But having said all that, when it is time to replace the tires I think I'll use foam filled. It is a bit heavier plus I really don't want to keep getting the flats...Chris

/ Tire with bllast needs Air #20  
My dealer said they alway have tubes put in, then add the calcium chloride to the tubes.