Tire won’t take air.

/ Tire won’t take air. #42  
I’ve got a tubeless tire on a hand truck, the kind you strap a fridge to to move it out of the house, that won’t take air. Both were totally flat, I hadn’t used it in years. One side took air, the other side the air just leaks out around the edges, no tube. Is there some trick to get it to start holding air. I think once it seals it will hold air. I’d rather not try the starting fluid thing.
Use soapy water around the rim to facilitate a good seal. If the edge of the tire is too far from the wheel rim, tighten a strap around the tire to push the edge closer to the rim. If it still won't inflate, it may need faster air, so take out the stem and inflate. I was doing this almost every single year. I finally broke down and purchased a set of tires from a Big Box Store that are solid rubber!

/ Tire won’t take air. #44  
Order flat free tire/wheels online... When it arrive take to location of item needing tire/wheel replaced... Remove cotter pin, remove old wheel/tire, place new wheel/tire on axle, replace cotter pin..... Flat free tire/wheel should be good forever....Be happy you don't have to repeat tubeless tire (or tube) dance every year....

We had good quality hand trucks at local museum... Always had flat tires, repaired many times, but every time some body wanted to use them it seemed they had flat tires..... Replace leaking tires with flat free maybe 5 - 6 years ago.... Never a flat tire now when somebody wanted to use them...

Last edited:
   / Tire won’t take air. #45  
Slime makes good bead sealer.
I will not use Slime in a street tire equipped with TPMS but agree it is an excellent bandaid for pneumatic hand truck tires and ATVs.

If/when you find a puddle of Slime under the tire it is time to replace. I tried a product called TuBliss on my dirtbike for about a year. This consists of a small bicycle-like red "tire" with matching small innertube mounted inside a much larger tube-type motorcycle tire on a spoked rim. The red thing sits in the rim valley, not above the rim, between the big tire’s beads, and is inflated to 100 psi. It serves to form a seal so as to be able to inflate the space between red tire and the motorcycle tire.

In practice it works but is not perfect. Rarely works without Slime. Eventually all the Slime comes out and tire goes flat during a race.

I went back to simple reliable tubes on the dirtbike. Love my tubeless streetbike tires.

/ Tire won’t take air. #46  
I’ve got a tubeless tire on a hand truck, the kind you strap a fridge to to move it out of the house, that won’t take air. Both were totally flat, I hadn’t used it in years. One side took air, the other side the air just leaks out around the edges, no tube. Is there some trick to get it to start holding air. I think once it seals it will hold air. I’d rather not try the starting fluid thing.

/ Tire won’t take air. #47  
After trying everything to get a wheelbarrow tire to take air, without success, I stuffed it full of wadded up newspaper to push the bead against the rim. It worked, and I guess it's still in there.

/ Tire won’t take air. #48  
After trying everything to get a wheelbarrow tire to take air, without success, I stuffed it full of wadded up newspaper to push the bead against the rim. It worked, and I guess it's still in there.
Now that's one I never heard of. Clever!

/ Tire won’t take air. #49  
Usually people use newspapers to spread leaks, not stop them! :unsure:

/ Tire won’t take air. #50  
This works too.

Most people have an air compressor and the ability to use say an air chuck and an air blower. But not both at the same time. I do so this works. Have someone add air through the valve and at the same time blow air between the rim and the tire with the air blower. It works to seat the bead on small tires. Also all the previuos recomendations about a clean rim and to use a bead lubricant still apply. I use WD-40 because it's quick and easy.