tired tractor?

/ tired tractor? #1  

19th_VA

Gold Member
Tractor
Branson 3520
My tractor seem to get tired today, after a couple of hours of bush hoggin. The cutter would slow down, as if it were gettin bogged down, but the stuff was not too thick and basically the engine would just start dyin slowly--still idlin but not allowing me to give it any fuel. If I let it rest, it would pep up again after 5 or 10 minutes. But then it would happen again after 30 minutes or so of hard work. I know this is not a power issue because it has never happened before and I really wasn't doing much heavy duty stuff. I'm wonderin whether this might be caused by moisture in the fuel tank? I did let the tractor sit for a while with a half empty gas tank. What about a not very good grade of diesel? Also thought of the possibility of a clogged fuel filter. Any theories. Thanks--I know I'll solve this problem b/c of all these great minds on tbynet.

/ tired tractor? #2  
That's a new one for me. Catagorically speaking, the hotter a diesel gets, the better it runs, up to the point of peak efficiency. Was it too hot? What did your temp gauge register while in use? Did the stuff you were cutting clog the radiator screen?

/ tired tractor? #3  
when in doubt start with the simple stuff...... like a clogged fuel filter. To me it sounds like there is water in the fuel and after sitting, it starts to settle out to the bottom.... then after running for a while, the motion homogenizes it into the fuel again. Just one more of those theories that come to mind for a simple fix....

/ tired tractor? #4  
My bet is a clogged fuel filter.. on a deisel.. that and overhearting to the point of causing interference on the bearings/shafts are the biggies...

change the fuel filter.. blow the lines out.. clean the tank.. bleed the system, and run some power service thru there and re-check.

good luck

Soundguy

/ tired tractor? #5  
Jonathon:

You have probably figured out the problem already.

Egon

/ tired tractor? #6  
Hi...

Also... check the air intake/filter...

Dave...

/ tired tractor? #7  
Jonathan I had the same problem bout a year ago. Tractor seemed to get tired right in the middle of running the brush hog yet when I gave it a rest the power curve would be back up. It turned out to be the fuel line screen inside the tank ahead of the filter itself. I recommend draining the tank, and completely pulling the sediment bowl to see if your has the screen up in the tank. It's a very simple process to clean or replace.

/ tired tractor?
thanks for all the great advice fellas. it's definitely not overheating and not the air filter (first two things i checked). I think the fuel filter or screen are distinct possibilities. as my land is an hour away, i have not solved the problem yet, but will report back after checking all of these ideas out. thanks again tbynet--

/ tired tractor? #9  
I agree it's probably something plugging the fuel line, but if that's not it, I have another thought.

I had a jeep that would do the same thing, kind of. Lots of power, then just kind of die. Wait a few minutes and lots of power again.

Turned out to be the catalytic converter. I know, you don't have one, but you do have an exhaust pipe facing forwards that might have something in it causing backpreasure to build up.

My Century gets all sorts of branches in the exhaust pipe while brush hogging that I have to clean out when I clean my screans and intake.

Good Luck,
Eddie