Tires?

/ Tires? #1  

Kenfyoozed

Silver Member
Tractor
1974 MF135
I have a MF135 that needs new tires. I just so happened to punture the tube on one of the rear tires, while dragging cut limbs. The tires are the original ones. Rather than buy a new tube, which would get me running , I decided to wait and save up and get new or newer tires. The size that are on there are 13.6-28. My question is this... Are these the only size tires that i can use? If not what other sizes? The tractor is only used for light work, bush hogging a field, or dragging cut limbs/logs or giving hayrides. Cash is tight for this so should I look for used? or what type of inexpensive tires?

/ Tires? #2  
I you look on tractordata.com they list three options for tire size. 12.4x28 13.6x28 and 14.9x24. Since you have the 28 rims you could go down to the 12.4. You could probabally even get buy with the 11.2x28's but I think the 12.4's would be a good match. They are fairly popular and not as expensive.

Most of the old n-series fords cane with the 11.2's and most people upsize to the 12.4 so that has made them popular.

/ Tires? #3  
Try Nebraska Tire. They factory Seconds, they call "buffed tires". There is shipping charges, but should come in cheaper than the local dealers. I bought a set and they worked fine. bjr

/ Tires? #4  
Generally on those rims you can drop a level.. and setp up a level.. I's say 12.4 or 14.9.. but 11.2 is probably too small.

I take it the tire casings on there now are rotten?

soundguy

/ Tires? #5  
14.9X28's are roughly 4" taller than a 13.6X28. A problem you would encounter with the 14.9's is the 3-point draft arms would be too short to clear the tires with many mounted implements (such as a bush hog) Also, 14.9's would cause you to "gear up", making grounds speeds faster in each gear. Rim width would be a tick narrow too.

12.4X28's aren't too much smaller than the 13.6's. Many 135's came stock with 12.4's. 11.2's would be too narrow for standard 135 rims.

I'd stick with EITHER 12.4X28's or 13.6X28's.

/ Tires? #6  
as for the inexpensive tire part you mentioned, take a look at Goodyear Duratorqe. i think i remember seeing somewhere that a 13.6x28 was around $330. they're an ok tire, certainly not the best, but far from the worst i've ever had as far as R1 ag tires go. middle of the road is what i would rate them. in other words you dont have to break the bank to get a decent pulling tire. as for used tires go, sometimes you run across a set that's still got a good bit of life left in 'em. the problems i always seem to encounter when searching for used tires is either they're selling just one, they're worn slap out, they're dry rotted, or they have tons of life left in them but they are the wrong size.

/ Tires?
Locally the tires I have found are ....
BKT 720.00 set
Treaddura? 700.00 set
westlake 720.12 set
firestone 842.00 set

Are anyof these ones I should stay away from? These are all 13.6-28. Would the 12.4's really be any cheaper?

Right now she has the Goodyear dyna torque? They may not be the originals, but i never knew my grandfather to have replaced them, and they look horrible. Pieces are flapping, or falling off, and cracks open and close as the tire rolls!

/ Tires? #8  
If you change the height of your tires enough to tilt the tractor it will also throw off your lift or you may need to change the front tires to level the tractor. l

/ Tires? #9  
My 135 has had 14.9x28 ever since I've had it and only had occasional problem with an implement bumping the tires.

I have to really watch my 6' bushhog as long as I have stabilizer bars on it won't hit.

It is time to replace the tires.
Should I go down to 13.6 or stay the same.

What am I gaining or losing? Speed, traction, is it gonna look funny??

The dealer said there was only $6.00 difference in price
Thanks

/ Tires? #10  
when you go to a smaller tire you loose speed, and traction.

only you can tell on your machine if you have had problems with tire clearance enough that you need to size them down.

soundguy