Tis the season for mice

/ Tis the season for mice #22  
Our cat tells us when there is a mouse in the house. They come in somehow under the kitchen cabinets, but don't seem to come out where the can can catch them. He alerts to the sound of them under the cabinets & stands guard for hours, watching the cabinets. I check the trap I have behind a heater vent that is under the cabinets. Sometimes they get the peanut butter without setting off the trap, but this has happened only once since I replaced the Victor traps with some from Taiwan, brand of "Tomcat". The Victors were either too sensitive & would go off when I tried to place them or wouldn't go off at all. These Tomcats work just fine and only failed to kill once.

Of course when I pull the heater vent grill & pull out the trap, the cat wants his reward & he gets to play with it and eat it in the garage. He wants it fresh, however, & if it isn't, he loses interest real fast.

/ Tis the season for mice #23  
Instead of foam try to use some steel wool.

Dan, thanks for the tip. That steel wool sounds like a good idea, but I worry that it will turn into rust and then I'll have running rust going from the sides of the garage door down my driveway. I guess I could try it and keep an eye on it to see what is happening. That would be easy enough to do.:)

/ Tis the season for mice
Dan, thanks for the tip. That steel wool sounds like a good idea, but I worry that it will turn into rust and then I'll have running rust going from the sides of the garage door down my driveway. I guess I could try it and keep an eye on it to see what is happening. That would be easy enough to do.:)

dont they have stainless steal wool? how about one of those sink scrubbies that is SS.

31ZNSEK8V7L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

/ Tis the season for mice #25  
dont they have stainless steal wool? how about one of those sink scrubbies that is SS.

Uh-oh. . . I guess you know how much cleaning I do around the house.:eek: I should have asked my wife before responding.:rolleyes:

/ Tis the season for mice #26  
I have a major problem with mice this year. My wife had a 40 pound bag of sunflower seeds for her bird feeders sitting in a shelf in our garage. I happened to notice some seed hulls scattered on the shelf this last weekend. Upon investigation I found that the 40 pound bag now weighed about 5 pounds and empty hulls poured out of two holes in the back of it. Great. What was worse was finding a hole in the drywall right behind the shelf. The little suckers had chewed a hole through the drywall, were living in the walls of my home and had 40 pounds of feed. :(

I opened the trap door in a ceiling closet on the 2nd floor of my home and found all sorts of tunnels in the insulation up there. Wonderful. I thought about getting glue traps (I once had 3 of them stuck on the same trap!) but figured I had a big problem. I went to our local Rural King and bought D-Con, and a lot of it.

As things would go, this week has been extremely busy and all I managed to do was buy the D-Con and sit it on the shelf where the sunflower seed bag was. The stupid mice chewed their way through the sack, chewed through the plastic trays and ate all my D-Con this week! :eek: So much for trying to figure where I want to put it. This morning I found 4 mostly dead mice in assorted places on my garage floor and chased one slow moving one to a tiny hole next to a side pedestrian door where he disappeared.

I don't know if it will work, but I did the expanding foam thing. The only problem so far is that foam doesn't know when to stop. After giving what I thought was a pretty good shot in the hole next to the door I was shocked later this morning to find a basketball size blob of foam outside where it extruded from a really small missing piece of mortar between two bricks. It was worse where I filled the hole in the drywall. :eek: It had spread out and there is a nice trail all the way down the wall to the floor. When I tried to pull a piece off the wall it took the paper off the drywall.

This thing with mice this year sucks!

/ Tis the season for mice
ya a few years ago we had them chew a hole through the top of the plastic bin we keep the dog food in.

earlier this year they made a feast out of the wheat flower and oatmeal. we have sence moved them to the other side of our sealed metal lockers we use for a pantry.

good news on my front... after catching 4 over the weekend the traps have been clean all week.

/ Tis the season for mice #28  
Yesterday I spray foamed the top of this basement window for a customer in preparation for a 2 part polyurethane foam Two Component Polyurethane Foam Portable Disposable self-contained fire retardant high density that went on today. Well, this morning I noticed little bits of foam on the floor, further investigation revealed the results in the attached picture. Danged mice :mad: I crushed a mixture of rat poison and putty and stuck it in the hole, then proceded to foam the entire box sill. We'll see what it looks like come Monday :rolleyes:

Attachments

• DSCN0988.jpg
    DSCN0988.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 115
   / Tis the season for mice #29  
TRAINEES!! (Don't let that peaceful pose fool ya....these are real killers)

Attachments

• kittens 10:08.JPG
    kittens 10:08.JPG
    149.7 KB · Views: 81
   / Tis the season for mice #30  
ya a few years ago we had them chew a hole through the top of the plastic bin we keep the dog food in.

earlier this year they made a feast out of the wheat flower and oatmeal. we have sence moved them to the other side of our sealed metal lockers we use for a pantry.

good news on my front... after catching 4 over the weekend the traps have been clean all week.

We were using plastic garbage cans to store grain in the barn. Mice at holes through the bottoms. Had to go and track down the old metal style cans for the grain. These aren't easy to find anymore.