TLB vs Compact Tractor with attachments

/ TLB vs Compact Tractor with attachments #11  
The class III Boomers (TC35,40 & 45) have implement pumps rated for 9.8 cfm. The L3010/L3410 have implement pumps rated at 7.0 cfm, the L3710/L4310 7.8 cfm.

I have 268 hrs on my TC35D. I've had it in the shop exactly once for a warrenty repair (range gear may slip), something that I have never experienced. Before and after the tractor has run fine. I don't abuse my tractor but I work it VERY hard. Today I was digging my pond out driving in 4wd in 7" of water in clay/mud. A full bucket of wet clay is extremely heavy, yet my loader will lift it to full height no problem (not something I occasionally do as the tractor rocks on its wheels quite a bit). This machine has been everything I've expected and more. I have personally experienced the leaky coolant fitting on the side of my tractor. My Boomer also ran cool until a $2 valve was installed in the coolant return line. I personally consider these problems minor. They were both easy and cheap to fix. Fogging dash.. yes that happens sometimes, but I've heard other makes complain about that too.

On the other hand I removed my 16LA loader last weekend for the first time. Even jumping off the tractor (to read the instructions) it took me less than 5 minues to remove/install. Couldn't be easier... well designed.

I hope I'm not coming across too defensive. My Boomer has exceed my expectations. I'm sure the Kubota is a fine machine too. I wouldn't let a slightly foggy dash (which is rare) or a slightly lower implement pump rate sway my decision too much.

Truth be known you'll get a good machine either way,

Peter

/ TLB vs Compact Tractor with attachments #12  
centex,
Just for your information, Bradco may recommend a 509 for the TC35/40/45, but NH does not. In fact, it will void your warranty. Not a good thing when you've just sprung 20 some K for a tractor. I believe Kubota has the same policy. If you don't want to trash your warranty, look into a NH 758C hoe. Not as strong as the 509, but if something breaks you're covered.

/ TLB vs Compact Tractor with attachments #13  
<font color=blue>The "New Holland Owning/Operating" forum seems to have a lot of threads on problems like leaks, fogging intrument panels, etc. ... If the little things are missed or poorly designed then I would suspect some major things might also be lurking in the background just waiting for the warranty to run out.</font color=blue>

There is a relatively new thread in the "NH Buying" forum that is tryin gto pull as many of these issues into one place. I hesitated starting it for fear of giving just the impression you seem to have gotten. These are well-designed, reliable tractors (all of the "big three" manufacturers are, as are many of the other names out there). These types of problems exist with all of the makes of tractors I've ever dealt with or heard of. If you look through the forums, and talk to owners, you'll find they all suffer with some minor issues (same thing with new cars). Many of the problems are the exact same ones that you'll find with other brands. For each one that isn't across all brands, you'll probably find other problems unique to each brand. Try them all, buy what best fits your needs and what "feels right" to you. These firms didn't get their good reputations for nothing.

John_Mc

/ TLB vs Compact Tractor with attachments
John,
Thanks for the tip. I suppose it does not matter if the Bradco backhoe was bought from and installed by the tractor dealer.

Well I am buying a JD 4700 with JD 460 loader and JD 48 backhoe. It is a little more tractor than I intended to get but I like the dealer and he gave me a closeout deal I could not refuse on a tractor that he had in stock. I want to thank everyone for the advice and counsel that you gave me.

/ TLB vs Compact Tractor with attachments #16  
Boy you can't go wrong with that outfit. You should be able to do most things you want with it. That backhoe and loader are so easy to take on and off. If you only have one unit you'll like that better than a dedicated TLB unit.

/ TLB vs Compact Tractor with attachments #17  
Centex,

CONGRADULATIONS!!!!! I have never used the 4700 but everything I hear says it is a great tractor with plenty of power for the jobs you described. Which transmission did you get with your new monster?

MarkV

The tractor has a hydrostatic transmission, 4WD, and industrial tires. I was going to order a 4410 with the same features but the price of this tractor was so close that I went with it instead. I would never have bought a hydrostatic transmission except for the overwhelming support for them on this site. I never much liked automatic transmissions. It is still hard for me to see much advantage over the maunal transmissions with the automatic shift mechanisms. I like the ruggedness of a manual transmssion but all the extra hydraulics and electronics to make the manual transmissions shift automatically probably make them less reliable than a hydrostatic transmission.

I liked the Kubotas but the dealers are few an far between around here and both John Deere and New Holland have more dealers a lot closer to me. I decided on John Deere becasue as I drive around the country side here I see a lot more green than blue tractors so I went with green.