TM1600 Hard to start

/ TM1600 Hard to start #1  

BabyHuey

Tractor
Yanmar/YM1600
My Tractor YM1600 Yanmar is hard to start. I have used the de-compression lever and the throttle at full position, and it still doesn't want to start.
I know that I shouldn't use either, as I have read in other forums, but that is the only way I can get it started.
I just give it a quick short squirt (not in) but across the air intake to the air filter and pull the de-compression and have the throttle half way open, and it fires off.
Once started like that after sitting for a week or more, you can shut it down after an hour or two to get something to eat or drink and then when you go back out to start it, if fires right up with the key, no problem.

I was wondering what the problem could possibly be that would cause that?

Thanks, any help would be appreciated.

/ TM1600 Hard to start #2  
Could be low compression. Does your tractor use any oil? Does it have much blowby out the little vent tube?

/ TM1600 Hard to start #3  
fwtw We used to use wd-40 on diesels that couldn't use ether someone a while back told me that doesn't work any more but he was pretty much fos (and doesn't post here anymore) so Id take that with salt it may still work just fine I have not tried it. But yes ether nor wd should not even be needed with one of these this time of year.

I wonder how dirty the injectors are etc no way to know w/o taking them to the shop they may be flat worn out too same thing only a pump shop can tell.

/ TM1600 Hard to start
It doesn't hardly use any oil, but it does have a little blowby.

/ TM1600 Hard to start #6  
Maybe try this....take your fuel filter bowl out and drain it, make sure your filter is clean/new.....fill the fuel bowl with seafoam. Reconnect everything and get the air bubbles out via the bleed screws and try getting the seafoam into the injectors that way...I would also put a health dose in the fuel tank to boot.

/ TM1600 Hard to start #8  
I tried wd-40, and it doesn't work.

Ok thats another vote no I have not tried it in 25 years or more so good to know for sure. :thumbsup:

fwtw After re-reading your first post I had this thought...I dont use my comp release in the summer and I only crack the throttle just past the point I can feel the lever start moving the rack in the pump which is just over an idle.

There is a "feel" to it and mine starts real well. Just throwing that out because I know the manual says full throttle and comp release to get her spinning etc but I never do it that way you may be over fueling it and with the release pulled that could kill the ignition just a theory dont know how long you have had the tractor???

I will in the winter if I dont have it plugged in use the TS and then pull the release and get it spinning and then pull the throttle and push the release in and she starts decent that way but the comp release will also kill the engine or seriously slow it down.