TO-20 PTO not working

/ TO-20 PTO not working #1  

jblaise

Tractor
Ford 4500
I purchased a MF to-20 several years ago from a friend who is since deceased. I used the machine to move snow many years ago and it had a drum on the three point as a counter balance. Since I bought it I've used the bucket but never needed the counter weight.

Moving the 3pt lever on the left side lifts the forks an inch or two but that's all. I remember it lifting the 55 gallon drum several inches off the ground. I haven't a clue. Can someone get me started?

Thanks

/ TO-20 PTO not working #2  
Sounds like the 3pt piston is leaking oil. What kind of oil is in the transmission/rearend? Should be 90w

/ TO-20 PTO not working
Thanks. Will check level. No idea what is in there so it might be a good idea to change.

/ TO-20 PTO not working #4  
I purchased a MF to-20 several years ago from a friend who is since deceased. I used the machine to move snow many years ago and it had a drum on the three point as a counter balance. Since I bought it I've used the bucket but never needed the counter weight.

Moving the 3pt lever on the left side lifts the forks an inch or two but that's all. I remember it lifting the 55 gallon drum several inches off the ground. I haven't a clue. Can someone get me started?

Thanks
The TO-20 lift lever is on the right side as you sit in the seat. The left side has the PTO shifter that runs the tractor's hydraulic pump. It must be engaged for the pump to run and the three point to work. Your loader probably has a front pump mounted to the crankshaft pulley and that is a separate hydraulic system.
Does the lift lever move full range? it should. It can be a leak as the other poster suggested but it might be crap and coruption in the control valve or one of the arms of the control valve "T" shaped actuator may have fallen out of the "H" shaped control fork sockets and are not allowing full travel of the control valve. WITH THE ENGINE OFF, open the panel on the right side of the hydraulic compartment and reach down in the oil and feel for the control valve actuator rod at the end of the "H" shaped control fork hanging down. There is a socket in each arm of the control fork and the ball on the valve actuator should be in those sockets. The arm of the "T" are held onto the valve control rod with a pin. Make sure it is in place. Push/pull the rod fore and aft. It should freely move back and forth about 1 inch. Now look up at the "H" control arm. There should be a spring attached to it and the other end of that spring should be attached to some structure aft of the control fork. Make sure that spring is attached at both ends. Now removing your hand from the hydraulic compartment, start the engine and engage the pto to start the pump turning. Move the lift lever back and forth and see if the control fork moves the control valve. Look up at the lift cylinder and see if there is any leakage from the lift cylinder. Now look to the front of the hydraulic compartment to see if there is fluid streaming down the supply tube in the right front corner. There should be no leakage from that and anything more than few drops from the lift cylinder is a leak. See if there is any churning from the relief valve to indicate a leak. It is below the control valve, Look at the four corners of the pump to see if a gasket is blown. The fluid will be churning and bubbly if it is.

Report back on what you find.

Last edited: