Buying Advice To Backhoe, on not to Backhoe...

/ To Backhoe, on not to Backhoe... #21  
Agree on the front tires and low ground clearance on the BX... I had a big excavator due the heavy clearing on my property so I really didn't need to be driving over big roots, etc. I haven't high centered her yet but lord knows I've tried.

/ To Backhoe, on not to Backhoe... #22  
I used to rent small backhoes (BX and B26) all the time. When I bought the LS XJ2025 a backhoe was a must. With a hoe, a small machine can do about anything a big one can, given enough time. Semi-retirement helps.

/ To Backhoe, on not to Backhoe... #23  
For someone who has a few large projects in mind, renting an excavator makes a lot of sense. If you have numerous small projects, having a BH is fantastic. Yesterday I wanted to place two small boulders in front of our fuel tank to prevent anyone from accidentally backing into it at night (etc.) I wanted the boulders to be "in the ground", not just sitting on top, so I needed a couple of holes about 3 feet across and 6 to 10 inches deep. The ground is still pretty well frozen, but I was able to scrape out a couple of depressions with the backhoe in about 5 minutes per hole. No way am I going to rent an excavator for that, nor would I use a pick and shovel. And when I need to lift something that is near the lift capacity of my FEL, I always mount the BH as opposed to my ballast box which is 750 lbs.

/ To Backhoe, on not to Backhoe... #24  
I wouldn't want to be without my B26. It is small enough to get around on the lawn without damage but large enough to dig out most any stump I have. Only one stump I have encountered that I couldn't dig out and that was a big oak over 4 feet in diameter that had to be removed due to being killed by lightning. I dug around it with the B26 and deep enough to get most of the roots but still couldn't budge it nor could I move it with my LS P7010 and a chain.
I have used it for the past 5 years or so to dig our trees from sapling size to 24" diameter pines, dig pits to bury cattle, dig trenches for water lines, dig up larger rocks that appear in the spring occasionally and even dig holes for wife's flowers and trees.
My shovel has pretty much retired and wheel barrow hasn't been used since I got my first tractor with FEL.

My recommendation is get a tractor with backhoe if you can afford it and a hydraulic thumb on the backhoe is another worthwhile investment. It doubles/quadruples the ease of use for it. I can pick up anything from softball size to large boulder size without leaving the seat by just adjusting the thumb position hydraulically. There will be a myriad of projects that you will do with a backhoe that you would never get done if you have to use a pick and shovel OR rent a machine.

/ To Backhoe, on not to Backhoe... #25  
I've never taken the hoe off of my BX23... it is part of the package and use it often.

/ To Backhoe, on not to Backhoe... #26  
I had to have a backhoe and that is the reason I bought my BX23... it has been a great tractor and I have others... the BX would be the last one I would get rid of if it came to that.

My brother bought a backhoe for his L3800... so far he has used it... but in 2 years not all that much... it is also rather cramped on the operator platform for an adult.

One thing is that it always seems to cost more after the fact and sometimes the warranty is less if not bought new with the tractor... not sure how it is with Mahindra.

I think you are right with the small BX tires and forested area... not that it wouldn't work... just larger tires clear obstacles better.

Well the warranty flat out states that putting an aftermarket backhoe on the tractor immediately voids the warranty. I could go get it and type it here verbatim but I think the warranty for most tractor brands say the very same thing. Reason being that without a subframe and one done right, it's very easy to snap a tractor in half usually at the bellhousing. Two tractor halves aren't much good for anything except maybe Southern lawn ornaments. (I'm from the South so don't start)

/ To Backhoe, on not to Backhoe... #27  
The Backhoe my brother bought for his L3800 is a Kubota Backhoe installed by the dealer at the time he bought the Tractor new with the required Kubota frame rail kit... he was not going to get it and I suggested he should if he could swing it.

The L3800 hoe has the dedicated backhoe seat and does not use the one seat design like I have on my BX23 and Deere 110.

/ To Backhoe, on not to Backhoe...
Thanks for the excellent replies. Confirms my thoughts that a backhoe would be a worthwhile expense.
Now to finalize my choice, and find a good deal...

/ To Backhoe, on not to Backhoe... #29  
I have both, a Grapple ($4000 BoDozer) and BH plus an excavator.

BH is most value, but I'd get next size larger tractor with a BH

/ To Backhoe, on not to Backhoe... #30  
A backhoe and a Dozer... all you need is a dumptruck or trailer and you're in business!

Greeting from Olympia!