To Bleed Or Not To Bleed?

/ To Bleed Or Not To Bleed? #1  

Industrial Toys

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota R510 Wheel Loader + Cab and backhoe, JD 6200 Open Station, Cushman 6150, 4x4, ten foot 56 hp Kubota diesel hydraulic wing mower, Steiner 430 Diesel Max, Kawasaki Diesel Mule, JD 4x2 Electric Gator
Would someone kindly tell me what the difference is in one traditional Diesel engine that needs to be bled after running out of fuel and another doesn't. It sure is nice when you don't have to crack all those lines! Without a manual, how would one know?

/ To Bleed Or Not To Bleed? #2  
I might be all wet on this but, the engines that you do not have to bleed have electric fuel pumps and they are pushing fuel thru the system all the way to the tank.

/ To Bleed Or Not To Bleed?
I was kind of thinking that too, but the lift pump only delivers fuel through the filter and to the injector pump. On models, I had to bleed, I had to go all the way to the injector itself.

/ To Bleed Or Not To Bleed? #4  
Too many variables to correctly answer. What tractor or engine. Was kill cable pulled(switch turned to off) as soon as engine sputtered????? Some engines are way easier to bleed the fuel than others. My Kubota M7040 is very easy to bleed and I owned a Ford 3000 that was worse than my ex-wife to get started when it was run out of fuel. Electric fuel pump won't remove the necessity to bleed injector pump as Leejohn stated if air has gotten in inj lines.

/ To Bleed Or Not To Bleed? #5  
On my little 2 cyl kubota the shut off valve turns back open after a few sec, so when I turn the key on it is pumping fuel all the way to the injectors back to tank. My bx2660 has a fuel pump but I'm not sure about that one yet, the same with my L4240. The fuel shut off might not work the same as the 2 cyl does, but I know for sure on the 2 cyl I don't have to bleed other then let the fuel pump run for about 1 min. On my 7800 I have to bleed it by hand.

But why? What is the difference? Are some injector pumps different?

/ To Bleed Or Not To Bleed? #7  
That I don't know.

/ To Bleed Or Not To Bleed? #8  
Not trying to be a wise guy, but the best way to avoid issues with having to prime or not is to pay close attention to the fuel level and add fuel BEFORE running dry. Another reason to do so is less chance of sucking up debris from the tank bottom.
If it can't be helped for some reason, then fill the filter, (after shutting off the petcock located before the filter housing), install the filled filter to it's bowl, put fuel in the tank an open the petcock and crank the engine for 15 seconds at a time, pausing in between times to not cook the starter or cook the battery. If after several attempts still no start then crack a line to allow air to escape and then crank again.

I rarely run out of fuel, except on my Mule. It starts again, although you have to crank it a lot. Just learned that there is a bleeder screw on the filter and a hand priming pump. Not sure if this will make it start faster. Next time I will try this.

I drained the Tank on my Kubota R510 yesterday, changed the fuel filter and it started up immediately, much to my relief.

Just got me to wondering why some and not others?

/ To Bleed Or Not To Bleed? #10  
I rarely run out of fuel, except on my Mule. It starts again, although you have to crank it a lot. Just learned that there is a bleeder screw on the filter and a hand priming pump. Not sure if this will make it start faster. Next time I will try this.

I drained the Tank on my Kubota R510 yesterday, changed the fuel filter and it started up immediately, much to my relief.

Just got me to wondering why some and not others?

The definitive answer: https://www.google.com/search?q=why...j7&sourceid=chrome&espv=210&es_sm=93&ie=UTF-8