To Buy or Not to Buy A Short Bed Pick-Up?

/ To Buy or Not to Buy A Short Bed Pick-Up? #11  
I have a trailer, so a short bed really isn't a negative when considering buying lumber, etc.

If you're getting a good price on the truck, perhaps you could use the savings to buy a nice tandem axle trailer.

/ To Buy or Not to Buy A Short Bed Pick-Up? #12  
I have a Chevy K3500 Crew Cab with a long bed. I also have a 20' trailer -- and if I can avoid having to use the trailer, I am pumped. It is a hassle to get the trailer attached just to get some wood, PVC pipe, etc. Occassionally parking can be a problem, but I can usually find a spot to back into all the time.

My wife drives this truck around town all the time.

I think I'd regret having a short bed after having a long one. But it all depends on what you will be using the truck for.

/ To Buy or Not to Buy A Short Bed Pick-Up? #13  
I had the same delema a few years ago and bought a small trailer.
It has a five by ten foot bed, and it tracks where the truck wheels go, it is also easy to get on and off.
I don't have to get that close to it because I can move it around by hand. It also has a 3500 pound axel. So I can carry more weight than I could in my pickup. The trailer is rated for 2950 so I don't need the trailer brakes and in NH we have to have trailers over 3000 pound inspected every year.

So I would go with the short bed. A small trailer doesn't cost that much and with the price of gas the less steel your hauling on the road the better if you don't need it.

PS I couldn't find the perfect truck so I have a tandem axel trailer, the 5 x 10 trailer , a 6 x 12 box trailer , a snowmobile trailer , and a boat trailer.

Dave in NH

/ To Buy or Not to Buy A Short Bed Pick-Up? #14  
Just my experience, but I HAD a 99 F250SD Ex Cab and LB with the V10. WOW what a truck. Then I sold the camper, which was my sole purpose in having that truck. I now have an 03 F150 5.4 Ex Cab SB. I want my old truck back /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
Yes a 6' or so bed will haul 8' lumber, but now ya gotta tie it down so it won't slide out. If I want to get some 10' pipe in the truck, now I'm looking at flagging the load with a red flag because it's 4' longer than the body. I could lay the tailgate down, then TRY to figure out a good way to tie it down /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I'll never have a 6' bed again. Yes it easier to park, get around in traffic, whatever. But never again.
I once hauled a 16' garage door in a long bed, try that with a short bed. Well yeah, THAT was stupid, but I could do it /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ To Buy or Not to Buy A Short Bed Pick-Up? #15  
I'll just throw in my opinion...
I think all trucks should be made with the 8 foot bed and NO flaresides. If you subscribe to the trailer philosophy (which I can see a point in), then get a suburban and use the space you haul around for people and clean dry things like bags and boxes etc. Then if you need lumber, use the trailer.

Me,.. if I can't haul it in a minivan (happens 3 to 5 times a year that I cannot), then I pay for delivery. I personnally can't justify the truck ownership (especially a newer one). I would like to pay $500-$700 for an old beater, but even that seems wastefull...

/ To Buy or Not to Buy A Short Bed Pick-Up? #16  
<font color="blue"> "I would like to pay $500-$700 for an old beater, but even that seems wastefull..." </font>

I think most anyone would like a good reliable old beater pickup for $500-$700. That's why they cost more. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ To Buy or Not to Buy A Short Bed Pick-Up? #17  
<font color="blue"> I'll just throw in my opinion...
I think all trucks should be made with the 8 foot bed and NO flaresides. </font>

I agree. I've had full size trucks in the past, but only with an eight foot bed. I've learned that it doesn't do much good unless it can carry 4x8 sheets of plywood or drywall and still get the tailgate closed.

This time, I bought my Ranger because I wanted a truck for carrying items for working around the house, but it was also going to be my daily driver, so I wanted small and economical. I bought it with a seven foot bed instead of six foot, but it's still been too small for many of the things I've needed it for.

<font color="blue"> Me,.. if I can't haul it in a minivan (happens 3 to 5 times a year that I cannot), then I pay for delivery. I personnally can't justify the truck ownership (especially a newer one). I would like to pay $500-$700 for an old beater, but even that seems wastefull... </font>

I was just talking to NIXON about that the other day...
I'm looking for a new, small car and I was going to put my Ranger into semi-retirement for occasions where I need a truck. I also have a Ford van with a 351 sitting around for the few times a year that I need to tow a trailer (hauling the tractor, etc.). I just can't justify keeping a small truck (which can't be used for towing) AND a full-size van (which can't be used for hauling things such as mulch) around and continue to pay for license plates and insurance for both vehicles, just in case I may need either one a few times a year.

After we get the new car, I guess in an ideal situation we could trade both the van and the Ranger for a Ford F250 of equal value! Then, we could use it for hauling AND towing and only pay for plates and insurance for three vehicles instead of four! /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ To Buy or Not to Buy A Short Bed Pick-Up? #18  
I've had both short and long boxes, regular cabs and supercabs. The last three were all F250's, super cabs, long beds, and 4times4's. For myself I'll always have that setup. The longer wheelbases make for a much more stable truck when pulling big trailers and weight. As far as parking, it can get interesting, but look for a spot big enough to put the thing in. A fullsize pickup ain't exactly like driving a Focus ya know.
Sounds like that Dodgem might be a good deal though. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ To Buy or Not to Buy A Short Bed Pick-Up? #19  
Parkin is never a problem when you use the braile method.

Egon /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ To Buy or Not to Buy A Short Bed Pick-Up?
(just replying to the last post in line)

Oy! What happened to our nice little consensus that made my decision so simple?! /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif All of you dissenters, back in your holes! The pro-short boxers were first out of the gate. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Good arguments on both sides... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif