To CAB or NOT

/ To CAB or NOT #1  

WVH1977

Platinum Member
Tractor
Massey 2860M Cab, New Holland TC40, Hitachi EX100, Gravely Pro-Turn 152
Hello again,

As I get closer to purchasing a new tractor, I am still struggling with getting a Cab. I have always been in an open station and feel a little enclosed when testing tractors with a Cab. I am 46 and not getting any younger (starting to feel it more). I want this next tractor purchase to hopefully be my last and payed off by the time I am 50. I dont think prices are ever going back down and if I put it off for another 5 years, and finally decide I need the Cab, it will probably be 70K + for one. I do a lot of burning in the cold rain and snow and bush-hogging, tilling and grading in the summer with lots of dust. I am starting to get tired of eating dust and being dirty/wet from head to toe. Probably answering my own question here while typing this. LOL

Anyway, how many of you on here have gone through a simliar situation/buying experience at this stage of life? Did you choose a Cab or did you stay open-station? This is going to be a big purchase and I dont want to do it again. I know I could get a canopy but that will just keep some rain off of me.

I have mostly pines that are around 20 feet tall now. Currently 4 acres open and 12 wooded but I am still clearing with the excavator and burning lots of brush piles. Will probably end up with 8 open and 8 wooded. I guess the biggest concern I have and hear from folks is hitting tree limbs and such while in the Cab. I feel like I am pretty observant and careful with operating but mistakes happen.

Any opinions/experience/similiar situations welcome.

Thanks

/ To CAB or NOT #2  
Are there options for your next machine to possibly have a removable CAB?

I would only need a CAB for winter and cold weather. Otherwise in the summer, the canopy or tractor umbrella works just fine.
CABs are pricey, yet nice to have.

/ To CAB or NOT
Are there options for your next machine to possibly have a removable CAB?

I would only need a CAB for winter and cold weather. Otherwise in the summer, the canopy or tractor umbrella works just fine.
CABs are pricey, yet nice to have.
Thanks for the response. If I get a CAB, it will not be removable. I want a solid, deluxe CAB.

/ To CAB or NOT #4  
I know a few people that claim to like an open station more than a cab but I don’t even think they believe it when they say it. I’ll take a cab any day, even in the woods you just have to be careful.

/ To CAB or NOT #5  
As with many here;started with an open station and now have a cab.
Lots of good reason for and very few against.
In my case my son has a open station available,he hates my cabbed tractor;but at his work he uses multiple cabbed machines.

/ To CAB or NOT #6  
I know this doesn't help you but I went through the same dilemma. I wanted / needed a cab but working along tree lines and in the woods prevented me from owning one. Fortunately, I'm now in a position to be able to afford two tractors, one with a cab and the other open station. I'm 77 now and a cab is necessary for a lot of the work I do.

When I got my first tractor, due to the woods work, I was forced to stick with an open station. Cab damage can get very expensive to fix.

Without seeing the conditions where you will use the tractor, it's hard to give sound advice. Conditions change and keep in mind, resale values go up along with the price of new machines. If you buy an open station tractor now and maintain it well, you can expect to get most of the purchase price back, if and when you trade up to a cab.

/ To CAB or NOT #7  
I’ve said it before and meant it, you couldn’t pay me to own a cab CUT. I work full time in a climate controlled factory and I cherish my “outside time” on my open station tractors. That said, I do appreciate my large home made canvas over wood frame canopy on sunny and rainy days.

I know it is very hard for some of the “gotta have a cab” guys to believe, but cabs really aren’t best for everybody. Every time I see a CUT with one on it, I think “a fool and his money are soon parted”.

/ To CAB or NOT #8  
I too was use to an open station and moved to the Toolcat that has a "cab". I had to get over the feeling of closeness and the feeling of not being able to see as much. Open stations are nice when the weather is perfect but we suffer when it is not. I have gotten use to the cab and it is nice but deep down I miss an open station on nice days. I had to do some serious tree trimming so I have a platform to work off of while my wife drives me around. You can do the same with a pole saw. A grapple is handy to pick up all of the branches too.

/ To CAB or NOT #9  
I have always had open stations.
If I where to buy another tractor it would be a cab model

/ To CAB or NOT #10  
I upgraded to a cab tractor shortly after I hit 50. My tolerance for being out in the elements really tanked, particularly while plowing snow. After a 2 day 36" blizzard and plowing 15 long rural driveways, I was done with open station tractors.
Now at 62 I enjoy AC, heat, and music while I'm out on the tractor.