To idle or shut-off: Which is best?

/ To idle or shut-off: Which is best? #1  

cheesehead

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L3130F-HST
I've been cutting a lot of trees down into firewood over the past week. My L3130 has been used as the means to move the logs from the woods back to a pile by the log splitter about 4 minutes away where I dump the FEL and get another load. Loading time in the woods is 4-7 minutes. The question is, should I just idle the tractor while loading or is it better to shut it off? Yesterday's adventures resulted in 11 of these trips before it got too dark to keep going. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ To idle or shut-off: Which is best? #2  
I let my tractor idle (1200-1500 RPM) for short (5 or so minutes) rather then shut it down.
Engines wear more during start ups. Deere doesn't recommend extended periods of idling, but doesn't define "extended periods"...my idea of extended periods of idling is more then 5 minutes or so...

/ To idle or shut-off: Which is best? #3  
Idle for 10 minutes is fine as long as you set the RPM up as Roy mentioned. I leave mine at 1500. You don't want the engine to get to cold or the cylinders will start to gum up.

/ To idle or shut-off: Which is best? #4  
Does this mean that you should not let idle SLOWER than 1200 - 1500? I have been letting my 5030 idle for 5 minutes or so but it is usually around 900 - 1000.

Thx.

/ To idle or shut-off: Which is best? #5  
when i leave my tractor ideling, i usually set the idel at about 1200 and only if i am off for less than 5 min.

/ To idle or shut-off: Which is best? #6  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Does this mean that you should not let idle SLOWER than 1200 - 1500? I have been letting my 5030 idle for 5 minutes or so but it is usually around 900 - 1000.

Thx. )</font>

Just an opinion here...OK?

I'd really up that idle from 1000 RPM to at least a few hundred more...does your manual indicate "Low Idle" vs. "Fast Idle"?
Deere's manual for a 790 mentions 'sooting" at low idle (> 1000 or so RPM).

I can't give you anything more the anecdotal evidence, but if you are going to idle your tractor...kick it up to a bit higher RPM. Your engine will last longer.

/ To idle or shut-off: Which is best? #7  
Another point, if you worry about hours the kubotas keep counting straight. I got spoiled with a pto speed hour clock on our last machine. The oil changes come a lot quicker now.

Ken

/ To idle or shut-off: Which is best? #8  
Roy:

I love your disclaimer. You should run for public office.

I have always used the rule of tumb that if it is naturally aspirated shut it right down. If it is turbocharged, idle it for 5 minutes or so to allow the lube oil to cool the ceramic bearings on the hot side of the turbocharger.

Actually, Kubota recommends the 5 minute idle for their turbo'd tractor engines.

/ To idle or shut-off: Which is best? #9  
When I'm dumping clippings, it can take up to 10 minutes before I go back to get more and during that time I idle the engine. I don't slow idle it though, I idle it up to where it smooths out, approx 1/4 throttle I guess. My BX23 doesn't have a tach so I use the smooth method for idle adjustment /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I know that when I've done some extended mowing on very hot days that the temp will climb up to over the half way setting. I never shut the engine down when it reads that hot. I'll idle it down, at that smooth setting I like, until it cools off and this can also take 5 to 10 minutes.

One time I did idle for extended times when I was spreading and leveling dirt when awaiting for the next load and I decided I wouldn't do that again as it drank up the fuel. The temp never got above the normal reading.

Volfandt

/ To idle or shut-off: Which is best? #10  
Just as another view to the question, does anyone know of an engine failure (worn out early, turned an insert, seized-up, etc.) as a direct result of excessive idling?
I can't think of one, in any form. Failure was always caused by something else, usually lack of proper maintenance.
Assuming decent oil pressure and adequate cooling, idling should have very little effect on the engine. There is almost no load on the motor, unless you have a bunch of lights on, making the alternator work hard.
I can think of several high-mileage engines that spend a LOT of time idling...with the heater on full blast and the window down in the winter, or the A/C on full blast and the door open in the summer (funny, the same family does this, and they aren't anywhere near their vehicles!), idling literally for hours every day (I didn't say they were smart). Different farmers I know don't seem to understand how to shut the engines off untill dark, letting them idle all day. I'm not afraid to let mine idle, though if it's going to be too long, I shut it off. It's a cold-blooded little critter, so particularly in the winter while snowblowing, if I stop at someone's house for a bit, I leave it idling.
If it ever dies from this, I'll let you know.

Just my 2¢ worth. If it's worth that much. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif