Buying Advice To TLB or not to TLB that is the question???? SCUT or CUT

/ To TLB or not to TLB that is the question???? SCUT or CUT #1  

skawtty

Tractor
Kubota B2601 / LA434 Loader
Hi all, a question for all that decided to get the TLB and the ones that didn't . Any regrets with either? I am having a hard time deciding what to get for a sub compact. I like the size of the 22-25hp sub compacts and I think any bigger is too big for my acreage. We have built a house on 8 acres in which front 2 acres are level ground and the back 6 acres are fully treed. I am going to be leveling the ground better to have a smooth grass surface for the yard and build trails and such in back acres. Where we are in Sundre Alberta, the ground is about 12 inches of topsoil/native grass then 95 ft of pitrun below lol so you can imagine what the yard is looking like after they dug the foundation and septic field. I was thinking I would use the BH on other jobs im thinking of doing but everyone I have talked to said "Why spend the money on BH when u can get this..." I dunno. I have been looking for about 6-10 months since we started building. We lived on an acreage before this and all I had was a quad with blade for snow removal but hired out a lot to get landscaping done and now this time I want to do it by myself. So I have looked at JD 1025r, BX25, MF GC1710/20, Kioti 2510 also just ran into a dealer with TYM. Maybe I should just look at FEL and get the snow blower/ tiller/ box blade/ back blade / forks etc?. Im going to go out again this week and come down closer to what Im going to get. Was leaning toward the MF 1710/20 for tlb but now maybe 1705/1715. What others would you recommend? Is there a big difference in resale of different brands?

Thanks,

Last edited:
   / To TLB or not to TLB that is the question???? SCUT or CUT #2  
I have 5 acres which had trees removed / thinned and went with a TLB. After researching for several months I went with the LS XJ2025H. I felt I got the best bang for my buck with the LS and have been happy with it.

/ To TLB or not to TLB that is the question???? SCUT or CUT
I have 5 acres which had trees removed / thinned and went with a TLB. After researching for several months I went with the LS XJ2025H. I felt I got the best bang for my buck with the LS and have been happy with it.

Thanks Plas, I am now looking for a dealer up here that carries them and I cannot. Are they a new Holland tractor also called Boomer?

/ To TLB or not to TLB that is the question???? SCUT or CUT #4  
New Holland started in New Holland, Connecticut pre-1900. New Holland has a complex US/European/US/European ownership history. Today New Holland is headquartered in the Netherlands. New Holland is a very large producer of tractors and a broad range of complementary agricultural equipment.

LS is a Korean tractor manufacturer which opened shop in the USA during 2009. Other Korean tractor manufacturers are Kioti, TYM and Branson.

While growing rapidly, Korean tractors have a small portion of the US tractor market.

Tractor importers, with their concomitant assembly operations, are concentrated in Georgia.

Last edited:
I have really only looked a few of the manufacturers green, orange and red extensively . Are the Korean tractors comparable? Like I said earlier I found a TYM dealer close to me. I just don't want to make mistake for my first purchase as I want this to last. That is why I was leaning towards having TLB as I would have it if I need it but also get other implements. With the 0% financing why not get more than not but not pay through the roof for them, always looking for a good price.

/ To TLB or not to TLB that is the question???? SCUT or CUT #6  
New Holland started in New Holland, Connecticut pre-1900. New Holland has a complex US/European/US/European ownership history. Today New Holland is headquartered in the Netherlands. New Holland is a very large producer of tractors and a broad range of complementary agricultural equipment.

LS is a Korean tractor manufacturer which opened shop in the USA during 2009. Other Korean tractor manufacturers are Kioti, TYM and Branson.

While growing rapidly, Korean tractors have a small portion of the US tractor market.

Tractor importers, with their concomitant assembly operations, are concentrated in Georgia.

Yes the New Holland Boomer 20 and Boomer 26 are LS tractors rebadged. If you can find a dealer nearby they are worth a look.

Mark

Thanks guys I will take a look today as we have a New Holland dealer near as well.

/ To TLB or not to TLB that is the question???? SCUT or CUT #8  
Hard for others to know what's best for your situation, so I can't tell you whether the backhoe would be worthwhile on your property. I'd offer a couple of thoughts:
1. The little subcompacts are great little tools that beat the heck out of a shovel and wheelbarrow, but they still do everything on a comparatively small scale. When you describe leveling a multi-acre property, possibly moving lots of rocky material, it sounds to me like a job for much larger equipment. So I'd wonder if any subcompact, with or without the backhoe, wouldn't be overmatched for what you're planning to do.
2. It's probably obvious, but the backhoe mainly gives you the ability to excavate a hole in the ground, or a trench. The other attachments you mentioned really don't dig like that; they are mostly for running over the surface while pulled or pushed by the tractor. So whether you need the backhoe depends totally on whether you need to excavate or not. I added a backhoe to my tractor to remove hundreds of stumps while clearing our land, and it more than paid for itself over the years. Of course there are other strategies for digging holes, such as renting equipment when needed.

Won't tell you what brand to buy; that's a personal preference kind of thing. I've owned a pair of Kubotas for many years which have been totally dependable and hard-working, although most all of the brands you noted also make good equipment.

/ To TLB or not to TLB that is the question???? SCUT or CUT #9  
With 6 acres of woods do you plan on going in with the tractor? Will you need to move any logs? The "scuts" are notorious for low ground clearance and limited lift capability. When I was looking for my first tractor I looked at the BX25 series but went with a B7610 and added a Woods BH70-X backhoe.

/ To TLB or not to TLB that is the question???? SCUT or CUT #10  
Thanks Plas, I am now looking for a dealer up here that carries them and I cannot. Are they a new Holland tractor also called Boomer?

Yes LS makes New Holland branded tractors. I have the Boomer 24 and love it. I did not get the back hoe, but would rarely need one and renting if needed is a way better option to me so I am of no help there.

If you can find an LS dealer near by they are cheaper than NH.

that all said I love love love my Boomer 24.